Barleywine & Parti-gyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wavewalker

Reaction score
I have a couple questions:

1. How big a kettle do I need for an all grain barleywine?

2. I've read a little about parti-gyle, but I'm wondering if something a little simpler would work for me - after I remove the grains from the kettle, can I steep them again in a second kettle for a weaker beer? There would be a lot of grain, of course.

3. Is this crazy hard to do? It doesn't really sound like it would be, especially with a friend, but it doesn't seem like something a novice would typically do.

If it's really hard and complicated, I may wait a few months, and brew a partial grain BW in the meantime.

Thanks

The barleywine just needs a kettle like any other brew. The mash tun is where you need more space UNLESS you are running off a lot more wort to do a 2-3 hour boil.. A partigyle is mad easy to do, just add in your full pre boil volume of water to the grains after you have ran off all youi need for the barleywine. let it set a while, and stir it occasionally.. run it off like any other beer. I have made 3 different partigyles and really have liked all three.

Okay, thanks. I don't have a mash tun yet, so I guess I'll need one of those before I think about doing an all grain batch. Thanks.

Yup, your biggest challenge is going to be in the mash tun, not the boil kettle.

Making a bigger beer from the first runnings and a smaller beer from the sparges is a time-honored tradition. Fullers, in London, for example, still does this, blending various quantities of the first copper (copper=kettle) and second copper, i.e. the sparge runnings, to create their Golden Pride barleywine, ESB, London Pride and Chisick bitter.

I did the same thing a couple of years ago. The thread is here:
Tonight I'm Gonna Parti (gyle) Like It's 1699

I did it in a 5 gallon mash tun, which required two separate mashes. The first runnings from each were combined for the barleywine. The sparge runnings from each were combined for 7 gallons of Mild.

When I did my 5oth Burthday Barleywine, I did a quick, uncomplicated partyguile on the fly with my refractometer, brewing software on my phone and this Og/Ibu chart

hopsgraph.jpg

I also have a good thread where I actually learned how to figured out how to calculate and create partyguile recipes in real time, in this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/lets-partyyyy-gyle-pumpkin-porter-ale-one-mash-74927/ I went from knowing nothing about doing them to coming up with recipes in the course of a couple hours right as we were posting.

Hope these helps.

The last week of December I brewed an Imperial double chocolate oatmeal stout. On the fly I tried to create a parti-gyle. My mistake was adding a full hop schedule from a brown ale. The beer came out as one of the most bitter tasting beverages I have ever put in my mouth. The first time I sampled, it left a taste in my mouth for 30 minutes. lesson learned was I added way too many hops for this beer.

I use this beer to add bitterness to a not so hoppy IPA I made last year to create a very drinkable beer. Both individually have gotten better over time and the IPA is drinkable alone but the parti-gyle still isn't a very good drink.

I am brewing a IIPA woth 17 1/2 lbs of grain this weekend and I may make a parti-gyle.

JLW said:
The last week of December I brewed an Imperial double chocolate oatmeal stout. On the fly I tried to create a parti-gyle. My mistake was adding a full hop schedule from a brown ale. The beer came out as one of the most bitter tasting beverages I have ever put in my mouth. The first time I sampled, it left a taste in my mouth for 30 minutes. lesson learned was I added way too many hops for this beer.

I use this beer to add bitterness to a not so hoppy IPA I made last year to create a very drinkable beer. Both individually have gotten better over time and the IPA is drinkable alone but the parti-gyle still isn't a very good drink.

I am brewing a IIPA woth 17 1/2 lbs of grain this weekend and I may make a parti-gyle.

Um.. Parti-gyle is not a drink, it's a method just like hopping.. Can't blame the hopping on the gyle because you hopped it too much.. You need to know your wort SP to balance your final bitterness!

Thanks, everyone. I haven't even done an all grain batch yet, so I think I'll hold off on the parti-gyle for a while.

Back