Spilled my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-bus

Reaction score
I brewed up a batch of what was originally supposed to be an Oktoberfest, but ended up being more of a spiced amber on Saturday. As I was opening the packet of dried yeast I dropped it and spilled at least half of it on the floor. I went ahead and rehydrated and added what was left in the packet to see what would happen. It seems to be fermenting well, but I was just wondering if the lesser amount of yeast may result in a substantially longer fermentation period? I did add about a cup of honey on top of an already malty recipe, so I just want to be sure that I have enough yeast to consume all of the sugars. I do have a packet of champagne yeast I'd purchased for a batch of mead I'm planning to brew that I could add if necessary. Its day 5 and I'm still seeing activity in the airlock, but just having a little brewer's paranoia for my newest baby (first batch that was mainly my concoction). Thanks a lot!

If you aerated / oxygenated well then you'll probably be fine. The yeast reproduces during the aerobic phase just like it does in a starter. When the O2 runs out, it begins to eat the sugars and stops reproducing. If there was enough O2 at the start, then you'll have plenty of yeast to consume all of the sugar. Also remember that half a pack of dry yeast still has more cells than a vial of white labs.

Back