Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPKUTech

Reaction score
Is there any reason not to leave my pre-sanitized hydrometer in my fermentor (carboy)? It seams more convenient not to mention less opening therefore less contamination.

Thanks for replies.

Personally, I dont sanitize my hydrometer. I like to handle it too much to be able to leave it in a fermentor. I get the beer using a sanatized measuring cup then pour into the tube. I always spin the device into the tube so the CO2 bubbles from fermentation don't give me a low reading.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't leave it in there, just the prodecure I use to get my readings would keep me from doing it.

PS i forgot to mention that I drink/toss any sample I use to get a reading so the beer from the unsanitized hydrometer doesn't go back into my fermentor

excellent reasons not to. Thanks guys, I have a hard time thinking ahead w/o first making the mistake.

Back