LME Shelf Life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeegod

Reaction score
I found some LME that I bought about a month ago from my LHBS. Is it still ok to use? My inner tightwad is screaming, "use it, use it".
Scott

ITs perfectly fine. I've used LME up to 6 months after received it. Its not optimal, but it makes beer without much of a difference in final quality. Even if there is mold just scrape off that section and be sure to let it pastuerize in the wort (At least 15 minutes >160 if adding towards end of the boil) and you will be fine.

USE IT

I usually buy about 10 kits at once online to save on shipping. This will last about 3-4 months. I've never noticed any difference in quality for the few batches at the end that are 3 months old. One month seems pretty fresh!

Thank you for all your responses. I went a head and brewed an EPA with it. Added 1 lb of light DME and an ounce of Kent Goldings at 60 .5 ounces at 5 and .5 oz at flameout. Placed in 2 MR. Beer kegs, used WhiteLabs English ale yeast on one and SA-04 on the other. We shall see.

Back