Pasteurization stop malolactic fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluechicken

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about how cider will taste significantly better when aged for 4+ months, mainly due to the malolactic fermentation that smooths out the taste. So... I just pasteurized my bottled cider (my first batch) to kill of the yeast, as my cider is semi-sweet and carbed, right at the point where I'm happy. Does the pasteurization process stop the malolactic fermentation? I'm assuming it does. Does it stop the flavor from improving over time? It's pretty decent tasting now - started Jan 15th, bottled Feb 17th, pasteurized March 8th. I was curious to see how it would be down the road, as so many people mention the improved flavor.

You're right, pasteurisation will stop mlf. Normally you would put it through mlf before bottling, then sweeten and pasteurise. The flavour will still improve but the acidity won't change very much.

Because it is semi-sweet, the MLF is not as important. The sugar balances out and/or masks the acid and tannins and what not. If it was dry, then MLF would be more important.

Back