temp controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKHA

Reaction score
looking for temp controller I can use for many aspects. in winter I need a way to control a heat source for ferment,conditioning, and yes laggering. and able to control for a freezer was thinking a a419. any other options and any idea for the best place to purchase thank in advance

This is really an equipment question, not a DIY. I know a lot of people use Johnson or Ranco controllers. Me, I built my own opamp controller to run off of a thermistor array.

The Johnson A419 is an excellent choice. The analog Johnson will also work and it's about $30 cheaper. I have one of the digital units and several of the analog ones. Either can be used for heating or cooling.

I can't get that link to work, but it appears to be a Ranco controller although I'm not sure which model it is.

Here's a link to the Johnson digital from Northern Brewer:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...on-controls-a419-digital-temp-controller.html

and the Johnson analog model:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...-control/johnson-refrigerator-thermostat.html

Looks like there's only about a $20 difference in price. It's difficult to find the Johnson controllers at a discount, although used ones show up occasionally on Ebay and such.

I have both the Johnson A419 and a Ranco digital single-stage. Both are great, but for your application, you are much better off with the Ranco unit. With it, you can switch from heating to cooling mode via the digital interface on the panel. With the Johnson you have to open it up and switch around a jumper.

ETC-111000 is the model number if you tell me it will work i will order 2 in am thanks again.

This is really an equipment question, not a DIY. I know a lot of people use Johnson or Ranco controllers. Me, I built my own opamp controller to run off of a thermistor array.

(Apologies for the hijack)

Do you happen to have a schematic and a parts list? Now THAT would be a DIY project. I'm trying to find a cost-effective way to set up both an ale chamber (heat to 70F) and a lager chamber (chill to 50F)

-Arch

ETC-111000 is the model number if you tell me it will work i will order 2 in am thanks again.

That's the same Ranco I use to heat my fridge in the winter and cool it in the summer. Exceptional piece of equipment.

(Apologies for the hijack)

Do you happen to have a schematic and a parts list? Now THAT would be a DIY project. I'm trying to find a cost-effective way to set up both an ale chamber (heat to 70F) and a lager chamber (chill to 50F)

-Arch

I can't help with a true DIY solution, but for heating your ale chamber, you will be hard pressed to find a cheaper solution than this:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#17395K93

$15 heating-only 120 vac temp controller (50 - 90 F).

Go with a dual stage Ranco and you can have both a heater and a refer plugged in at the same time. Then let the controller switch between the two to really dial in a temp.

You can get a cheap Ranco controller from climatedoctors.com

I bought one from them and they currently still have them at $50. You do have to wire in a regular extension cord which there are many threads on here specifically for wiring that exact model. It took me 10 minutes with a $10 extra extension cord to wire it and I'm no electrical guy. Very easy to do and for much less than homebrew stores charge. Just something to think about.

Latest posts

Back