Help me choose my second dry hop!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should the second ounce of dry hop be?

• Amarillo

• Centennial

• Cascade

• Mt Hood (it's in denny's rye ipa)

• Columbus (go all columbus in the dry hop)

Results are only viewable after voting.

enderwig

Reaction score
This is a "west coast rye amber" kinda thing if that helps. I will be dry hopping 2 ounces, one ounce of columbus, and one other hop, I need help with the "other". Please no other recipe suggestions, the beer is already brewed, I'll be dry hopping this weekend, and still haven't made up my mind. So I came here for help :)

If this was your beer, what would be your second ounce of dry hop?

7 1/4# us 2-row
2# rye malt
1# munich
8 oz Carastan
8 oz crystal 120
8 oz Victory
4 oz crystal 60
1 oz Carafa Special II

1/2 oz Columbus @ 60
3/4 oz Columbus @10
1/2 oz Centennial @ 10
1/2 oz Columbus @ 0
1/2 oz Centennial @ 0

Amarillo is a badass hop!

To Couevas and AZ IPA: I actually brewed a simcoe+amarillo pale and dry hopped with, well you guess it.....

cascade! Very good beer. enderwig, you can't go wrong with any of the hops listed.

I vote Centennial. I like to dry hop with the type of hops used in the boil for some reason. I guess if Centennial is good enough to use as a boil/flameout addition, it's good enough to dry hop with. Just my $.02 :D

Mt Hood would give you a greater variety of aromas than any of the other choices. The others are all similar to each other. (not saying they're exactly the same kiddies)

Although Amarillo was the poll winner, I was a bit skeptical with this brew to go that route, so I went the safe route and went with columbus and centennial. They were the boil hops so I figured I wouldn't change the profile too much. I love the way columbus goes with rye malt, and I was worried about covering up that flavor by adding a third hop. I'll update this thread when I get a taste of it.

Back