First batch in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCARYLARRY

Reaction score
Well me first batch just went into the carboy about 15 min. ago.:D I did a Brewer's Best Bold Series American Nut Brown. I feel everything went great. The question is I'm using a 5gal. Better Bottle, I bought a cap that has 2 nipples on it and have a 5/8's tube connected to one of the nipples and in a jug of StarSan and the other is capped off. Should I be good on blow off? I thought I would leave it on till next week and rack to another Better Bottle and airlock it.

Congrats! I haven't used that setup(still a noob), but it seems like it should be good, the pressure will go out the tube and not the capped off part unless for some reason the tube gets clogged...

Leave it in primary for two weeks. If you feel like a secondary at that point, go for it. If not, you can bottle straight from primary.

As for blowoff, you should be fine, but 5 gallon bottles are typically too small for a 5 gallon batch. Get something bigger.

Oh one other question. The Recipes starting gravity is 1.059-1.063 I'm at a 1.070 what will this do? Higher alcohol content?

Sounds like your blow off set-up is right on. You really should leave your beer in the primary for at least 10-14 days minimum for most ales. That being said my last brew was in the primary fermenter for a month with no secondary. Once your sure fermentation is complete(3 steady hydrometer readings) move your beer to a cooler location(basement,garage,fridge) where it won't freeze and let it sit for a week. You'll have a fully fermented, crystal clear brew. Welcome to HBT :mug:

p.s:where in KY are you?

Oh one other question. The Recipes starting gravity is 1.059-1.063 I'm at a 1.070 what will this do? Higher alcohol content?

Chances are you wort wasn't fully mixed with your top off water so you got a higher reading. Extract batches have a pretty predictable gravity. But in theory yes, a higher OG will produce a stronger brew.

I'm in the ville. Not to far down from Y' ALL. Thanks for the heads up. I stirred her around pretty good I thought, but probably not enough.

Cool. My brother moved down around St. Matthews a couple months ago not too far from the BBC. If your ever up this way give me a shout and we'll meet for a brew.

No I didn't. It was about 70 when I pitched the yeast.

Got up this morning and have good strong fermentation. YEAH!!:D

Latest posts

Back