Could it be???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
To early???

Hops6.jpg

That looks like a forming bract, but it's not where they usually grow. You'll notice that at every spot where your leaves grow, there are two buds sprouting at the bine. These are the sidearms which will spring into action in July (here in MI at least). The flowers grow on those. This may be some kind of anomoly or something. Either that, or you're not showing us a picture of hops (because the leaves on my plants are shaped differently and that bine is pretty spindly looking). What variety and how old is this plant?

Hey Chris, my first year cascade has the same little flowery things. Your Cascade looks pretty big, how tall is it? mine is about to reach the 6 foot mark.

Some types of hops will put out a few cones on the main bine, but most of the crop comes from the later sidearms. My Cascade is normally the strongest one, but this year, it's getting a very slow start.

Each variety of hop is different. Even closely related ones can have different leaves, cones & side arms.

+1 with D42.

You got yerself' some side arms forming. And in that respect, nope. It's not too early. But, if you haven't planned out a method for drying you should start considering it now. I am not saying that you'll have cones tomorrow but, if you aren't prepared for them it will feel like it.

Window screens can work. But, depending on the size of your yard and the number of plants you might consider a forced air oast. You can get some ideas for them from Zymurgy, BYO, HomeBrewer Graden, or Homegrown Hops.

Hey Chris, my first year cascade has the same little flowery things. Your Cascade looks pretty big, how tall is it? mine is about to reach the 6 foot mark.

About 12 foot tall... I bought 3 rhizomes all cascade 1 looked giant in comparison. That is the one pictured the other is 5 or 6 feet tall. The third on never came up, I think a rabbit got to it.

I can see where the side arms are budding also. I am not sure you can see it in the picture.

You should see it now it is at the top of my trellis. I will get a picture tomorrow if anyone is interested.

I am wondering if I should try for a second harvest. I know with tomatoes the spring plants are done by about the 4th of July. At this point you just pull them up and replant. The plants don't get giant like they did in GA but it is a way to get another harvest. The questions is do you think after this harvest I should cut the bines and start over?

Latest posts

Back