Starter from dried yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppy360

Reaction score
Is there any reason to do it? Just wondering. I've only used dried yeast until yesterday's 08-08-08 brew where I made a starter from 1056.

Comments?

:mug:

I would not make a starter out of dry yeast. They are meant to be rehydrated and pitched without a starter. If you want to increase the cell count, add more packs of yeast.

sirsloop said:
I would not make a starter out of dry yeast. They are meant to be rehydrated and pitched without a starter. If you want to increase the cell count, add more packs of yeast.

+1.

Dried yeast is de-hydrated in an optimal state so that when it is hydrated it is ready to go.

sirsloop said:

Okay, that's what I thought. Thanks!

:mug:

there's a lot more cells in a 10-12g dry pack than a liquid smack pack or vial.

I always rehydrate. Fermentis even has a 'special' hydration procedure for their products that produces a very easy to pitch yeast "cream".

I'm bumping this thread because I am about to brew and pitch my first dry yeast batch. I am using Safale US-05. I gather I should not make a starter. I am making a 5.5 gallon AG batch that will be well oxygenated when I pitch. I have heard that you can pitch dry or rehydrate. What's the preference? Should I throw in two packets?
I am making the Dude's highly touted Lakewalk Pale Ale.

Thanks again
KD

Rehydrating is the preferred way to use the dry yeast. Just follow the package directions and you're all set! There is a large cell count with the dry yeast package and if you rehydrate according to the directions, it should take off fast for you!

Rehydrate properly ~ 97% cell viability. Pitch to wort ~ 40-50% viability. it's like throwing away half of your money.

I know its not neccesary, but has anyone made a starter with dried yeast? I'm guessing you would maybe have to use some kind of small blowoff tube in the starter because that many cells in such a small container would seem to be a problem.

joshpooh said:
I know its not neccesary, but has anyone made a starter with dried yeast? I'm guessing you would maybe have to use some kind of small blowoff tube in the starter because that many cells in such a small container would seem to be a problem.
Unless you have some extra wort saved from an AG batch, it generally isn't worth it. The cost of the DME to make the starter is often more expensive than buying a second package of dry yeast. Plus, dry yeast don't benefit from a starter in the same way that liquid yeast do. In fact, if you aren't careful, you can actually do more harm than good making a starter with dry yeast. I think it was mentioned above, but dry yeast are packaged at their optimal state for pitching, so making a starter from them can actually make them less capable of fully fermenting your wort.

agreed flyguy, but I was just hoping someone that has tried this would respond with the results just for curiosity. Of course this thread is still young so who knows.

joshpooh said:
I know its not neccesary, but has anyone made a starter with dried yeast? .

I make 5 gallon starters from a pack of dry yeast all the time;)

Just trying to be funny, but actually this is about what you would need to grow more healthy yeast than what the pack contains. As mentioned above, making a starter from dry yeast actually hurts the dry yeast.

I'm not sure what you guys are tdiscussing, but my lag time was easily as short as a liquid starter. Like I said, I pitched a rehydrated pack of Safale on top of a dry pitched pack in conical. Aerated for 5 minutes, and Bam, I have liftoff.

Back