Brown ale brewing tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cainepolo12

Reaction score
I am currently brewing a brown ale using homemade crystal oat malt, sorghum, BRS, sorghum molasses, flaked oats. Hops are Fuggles and EKG. Can't wait to see how the oats behave. Might get a bit slippery

How did you make the crystal oat malt? Is it actually malted or just toasted. I've been thinking of doing a mash with roasted oats and amylase enzyme at 145 F for 60-90 minutes and see if I get any conversion.

Golden naked oats are also crystal malt, nut I was unable to find if they were gluten free anywhere.

How did you make the crystal oat malt? Is it actually malted or just toasted. I've been thinking of doing a mash with roasted oats and amylase enzyme at 145 F for 60-90 minutes and see if I get any conversion.

Do NOT under any circumstances attempt to mash oats with just amylase. You will waste your time and end up pouring the whole thing down the drain. Oats are extremely high in beta-glucans, and without beta-glucanase, they will turn your mash into a starchy milky soup that will not convert. If you want to mash something with amylase, rice or millet are your best bets. But I haven't found that approach to yield any better flavor than just using rice or sorghum extract. The best use of amylase that I have found is for after you steep your toasted grains in the wort, just to help clear up any starchy flavors from the steep.

igliashon said:
Do NOT under any circumstances attempt to mash oats with just amylase. You will waste your time and end up pouring the whole thing down the drain. Oats are extremely high in beta-glucans, and without beta-glucanase, they will turn your mash into a starchy milky soup that will not convert. If you want to mash something with amylase, rice or millet are your best bets. But I haven't found that approach to yield any better flavor than just using rice or sorghum extract. The best use of amylase that I have found is for after you steep your toasted grains in the wort, just to help clear up any starchy flavors from the steep.

What about mashing millet and oats with the amylase? Do you think there will be enough beta -glucanase in the millet to convert the oats?

Is the millet malted? Because if it's not, there's no beta-glucanase present. If it is...well, it's worth an experiment!

igliashon said:
Is the millet malted? Because if it's not, there's no beta-glucanase present. If it is...well, it's worth an experiment!

No it's not. It's been awhile since I've done GF brews but I had a batch that I gelatinized quinoa, brought temps down, added millet and amylase, mashed, and got a few OG points. I also did the same thing with black rice and it seemed to work well. Both methods seemed to add a little body that is missing in GF beer.

Back