Aluminium sparge kettle issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khudfly

Reaction score
What issues, if any, would there be using an aluminium kettle for the sparge water?

Thanks in advance...always get great info here from everybody!

Khud

Shouldn't be any issues. I use an Al boil kettle. People say you should boil water in them before the first use to oxidize.

No issues from the aluminum. I used bargain fittings to build mine. I added a site glass, valve, and thermometer. It was cheap and makes for a good hot water tank.

Get one of an adequately thick gauge. Mine is paper thin, and I wish I would have spent a few more bucks to get one that's sturdy. However, it does do the job, just don't think it'll last too long. Also, some super cheap SS kettles w/ good reviews from e-bay.

tonybrewer said:
Shouldn't be any issues. I use an Al boil kettle. People say you should boil water in them before the first use to oxidize.

+1 let a volume of water boil for a while first and then clean the kettle well. Mine took at least 20 minutes at a rolling boil before it fully oxidized. I also had to wash and wipe it down real well to get rid of the residue it arrived with. It works great though.

The only issue I have with my aluminum kettle is that I can't use oxyclean to clean it. Works great, otherwise.

Sure you can. Many posts on here about brewers using oxyclean to wash their aluminum pots / kettles. A mild solution with short contact time and a thorough rinsing is fine.

Only other thing to note is not to scrub it with an abrasive like steel wool or similar. It will remove the oxidation layer. If that happens, you have to boil it again to reoxidize. Not the end of the world, just good to note.

Back