3 Weeks In Primary - Good Another Week or Cold Crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatGeekGuy

Reaction score
A bit of a quandry. I've got an AHS Texas Red that has been in the bucket for 20 days at a steady 60F in my ferm chamber. I'm flying out of country tomorrow for 5 days, and am trying to decide what's best in my absence?

- Let it ride as-is at 60F for another 6-7 days until I can cold crash and keg?
- Cold crash the fermenter at 35-40F while I'm gone and be ready to keg when I get back?

:confused::confused::confused:

Leave it. No worries. Cold crash while you are gone and be ready to keg when you get home. Enjoy the trip!

Tasted fine when I checked FG a few days ago, and the yeast has all settled out. I won't have time to get it in the keg tomorrow, and think that cold crashing might be better than leaving at 60F. But I appreciate the opinions of those more seasoned than I.... :mug:

Leave it. No worries. Cold crash while you are gone and be ready to keg when you get home. Enjoy the trip!

It's a business trip to the tropical climate of Norway, highs of 20F and snow. I might as well go to the East Coast :D.

Though I read Norway has an active craft beer scene, looking forward to some pints on the expense account ;).

Dropped it to 45 last night, then to 35 this morning. It will still be in a warmer climate than me for the next five days....

I hear that! It's been colder than a well digger's back side around here lately. Snows every day for a week at a time. Finally seeing the sun today.

Back