Rye IIPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwilliamsccn

Reaction score
Recipe: Doomsday Rye IIPA
Brewer: C.W
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.00 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.076 SG
Estimated Color: 8.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 86.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 88.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 38.7 %
6 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 38.7 %
2 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 3 12.9 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.5 %
8.0 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.2 %
2.00 oz Chinook [11.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 57.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 5.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 17.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [11.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 5.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 10 0.4 IBUs
2.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35 Yeast 11 -
1.00 oz Chinook [2.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 40.54 qt of water at 160.3 F 152.0 F 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

I'm about to brew a rye IPA myself, our SG targets are similar (1.071 myself), but I'm shooting for a lower IBU count (around 70). I'm doing a ten gallon batch, and my grain is similar:

16 lbsTwo row
4 lbs rye
3 lb Maris otter ( I want to get rid of what I have)
2 caramel 20
1 lbs Cara

Going to use a simcoe, cascade and Willamette in my hop schedule. We'll see, it's my first time with this recipe as well.

So, my critique would be, were on the same path. If the damn lhbs had been open yesterday, it would be in carboys right now.

Every time I brew with rye, it sticks to the false bottom really bad and lowers my efficiency.
I've never gotten over 70% when a pound or more of rye is in the recipe.
Not sure if others have had this experience as well.

I don't usually like to go over 10% on the grain bill for rye malt. I also prefer to use flaked rye to rye malt when I can find it in my LHBS. It adds more fermentables and has a mellower rye taste than rye malt.

To the OP, that's a serious hops schedule and i'd be worried that you'd be in a dueling battle between the hops and the rye. Chinook and Simcoe are going to add a lot of grapefruit rind, earth and wood notes to the beer. You might have to condition this one for a few months before the taste starts to mellow out.

I don't usually like to go over 10% on the grain bill for rye malt. I also prefer to use flaked rye to rye malt when I can find it in my LHBS. It adds more fermentables and has a mellower rye taste than rye malt.

To the OP, that's a serious hops schedule and i'd be worried that you'd be in a dueling battle between the hops and the rye. Chinook and Simcoe are going to add a lot of grapefruit rind, earth and wood notes to the beer. You might have to condition this one for a few months before the taste starts to mellow out.

Thanks for the tip, im thinking now I might lower the rye or eliminate it all together, the hops were for just a IIPA and rye was a last minute addition. I'll run it by the LHBS see if they have flaked. I'll post back with the final recipes

im bottling my ryePA in a week or 2. it morphed in to something else on me, as far as the ABV goes, so i dry hopped it. prolly gonna be a bit weird, its pretty dark and sitting at 8%abv. not what i was planning on. extra dme laying around ended up goin in the boil. smells nice tho. fingers crossed.

Thanks for the tip, im thinking now I might lower the rye or eliminate it all together, the hops were for just a IIPA and rye was a last minute addition. I'll run it by the LHBS see if they have flaked. I'll post back with the final recipes

It's funny- I like 20% rye malt in my beers that are distinctly "rye". For a rye IPA, I'd use 15-20% rye malt and not flaked and not lower it! It's all about taste, though- I like a rye IPA to let me know that there is rye in it!

It's funny- I like 20% rye malt in my beers that are distinctly "rye". For a rye IPA, I'd use 15-20% rye malt and not flaked and not lower it! It's all about taste, though- I like a rye IPA to let me know that there is rye in it!

This will be my first attempt at a rye. Have you used similar hops with good results Yoop?

Yooper, I use 20% rye in my rye-p-a recipe.
I usually get a pretty mucky build up on the false bottom from it and rarely get better than 65-68% efficiency.
It seems to cause a lot of channeling during the first runnings & sparge.
I stir quite a bit, which helps, but I never hit my normal 78%.

I actually spoke to one of the brewers on a sweetwater tour, while they were doing their "Low-Rye-Der" beer.
He said rye produces a heavy, sticky mash.

Curious if you, or anyone else experiences this??

updated to final recipe... I think still might bump the 15 min somcoe to 20 not sure. mashing right now though..

This will be my first attempt at a rye. Have you used similar hops with good results Yoop?

I really like C-hops with rye, and willamette hops, but I've also done Denny Conn's Wry Smile IPA, and the flavor hops in that one are Mt. Hood! I've done about 6 rye IPAs and a few rye pale ales, and I've liked them all, but I really like 20% rye in it best.

Yooper, I use 20% rye in my rye-p-a recipe.
I usually get a pretty mucky build up on the false bottom from it and rarely get better than 65-68% efficiency.
It seems to cause a lot of channeling during the first runnings & sparge.
I stir quite a bit, which helps, but I never hit my normal 78%.

I actually spoke to one of the brewers on a sweetwater tour, while they were doing their "Low-Rye-Der" beer.
He said rye produces a heavy, sticky mash.

Curious if you, or anyone else experiences this??

I always use rice hulls when mashing rye and wheat beers- it helps alot!

I used ph5.2 hoping to get better conversion but still ended up with 70% efficiency after 75 minutes at 150F BIAB, 1.070 for my OG.

Well, next time throw out the 5.2, and use a spreadsheet to predict mash pH if you dont' have a pH meter.

I just filter tap water and I believe my tap water ph is 7. Guy at the LHBS said it works well. Have you used it? Im not sure it did much but maybe it will change the flavor profile. ?

I just filter tap water and I believe my tap water ph is 7. Guy at the LHBS said it works well. Have you used it? Im not sure it did much but maybe it will change the flavor profile. ?

We've discussed it in the forum quite a bit, especially in the brew science area, if you want to take a long on why it doesn't work, and why it can cause a "funny" taste or even salty.

I had a jar, and I used it about twice.

PH of your tap doesn't matter, it's the PH of the mash. Download Brew'n Water and read the info if your into working with your water. Really worth the effort IMO.

When I brew with rye, I use a long knife and I slice through the rye muck on the top of the mash. Really helps with the sparge. I just make sure to not to disturb the mash too deep.

My rye ipa has 18% rye malt. Smaller additions give me a background taste I don't like. I either like it full rye or not at all, just my taste.

We've discussed it in the forum quite a bit, especially in the brew science area, if you want to take a long on why it doesn't work, and why it can cause a "funny" taste or even salty.

I had a jar, and I used it about twice.

I will look into it more thanks, hopefully it turns out good.

Very tasty beer next time I will up the rye it seems to be light on rye a bit.

image-1128206541.jpg

Back