Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I browsed through about 15 pages and didn't see my question so hopefully I'm not being redundant.

For my setup I'm using 3 kegs. Single Tiered E-HERMS system. For the mash tun and bk I am draining from the bottom so I will actually be cutting out the bottom of the keg and using the valve assembly as my drain. So the keg will be upside down.

First, is the top and bottom of the keg concave the same? So that way the stands will work even if the keg is upside down.

Second, can you get the stand without the hole drilled in the middle of it since there will be no dip tube.

I browsed through about 15 pages and didn't see my question so hopefully I'm not being redundant.

For my setup I'm using 3 kegs. Single Tiered E-HERMS system. For the mash tun and bk I am draining from the bottom so I will actually be cutting out the bottom of the keg and using the valve assembly as my drain. So the keg will be upside down.

First, is the top and bottom of the keg concave the same? So that way the stands will work even if the keg is upside down.

Second, can you get the stand without the hole drilled in the middle of it since there will be no dip tube.

Boilermaker

I am working on the upside down kegs right now and will have an answer for you on that in the next few days. As of right now I am not exactly sure but I think they are different depending on the keg you have. Whatever the case may be we will have a solution for the upside down keg stands here very soon. I have a keg cut already but I have found a little difference between it and a few other kegs I have on hand.
Yes you don’t have to get the hole at all in
anything I build. It’s an option to have it drilled.

Cheers
Jay

Have you made any custom ones with different stands for someone with an element installed. Gonna be making both my MLT and BK out of the 62qt Bayou Classic pot and would like to install one of these in both above the element and pickup. I guess I could drill a hole in a couple spots and use screws to adjust the height if need be, but would be nice to have something a little nicer. And possibly work an extra filter type stand into it as well

Have you made any custom ones with different stands for someone with an element installed. Gonna be making both my MLT and BK out of the 62qt Bayou Classic pot and would like to install one of these in both above the element and pickup. I guess I could drill a hole in a couple spots and use screws to adjust the height if need be, but would be nice to have something a little nicer. And possibly work an extra filter type stand into it as well

Ohh heck yeah Adeering I build custom stands and false bottoms all the time, its what I do. I can sheer any height you need, bend just about any radius you need down to about 4" and weld almost anything stainless. I can hinge them off center if you want to get by the heater and put the false bottom under the element instead. But yes I can help for sure. All I need is a basic layout of where things are going to be in the kettle, sizes and placement and away we go.

Cheers
Jay

Ok, It wont be for awhile as I going overseas for 4 months but just curious for my planning stage. Ill let you know when I get back and have the details and need to order them

I just want to give some props to Jay. I had some issues with stuck recirculations with the original FB I bought from NorCal, so I contacted him about it to see what could be done. He was very helpful, said it was a known issue with HERMS/RIMS brewers (I got mine a long time ago before the issue was known), and he offered to fix the FB and make me an additional level two filtration FB stand for just material cost and shipping. That's more than fair, and the solution has worked flawlessly for a few batches so far. With Jay, the sale doesn't end once you get the product; he sees to it that you are satisfied with it for as long as you use it.

Thanks Jay! :mug:
TB

I just want to give some props to Jay. I had some issues with stuck recirculations with the original FB I bought from NorCal, so I contacted him about it to see what could be done. He was very helpful, said it was a known issue with HERMS/RIMS brewers (I got mine a long time ago before the issue was known), and he offered to fix the FB and make me an additional level two filtration FB stand for just material cost and shipping. That's more than fair, and the solution has worked flawlessly for a few batches so far. With Jay, the sale doesn't end once you get the product; he sees to it that you are satisfied with it for as long as you use it.

Thanks Jay! :mug:
TB

TB
Thanks for the PROPS man! It was absolutely my pleasure! Glad we have fixed your issues and brew day can be fun again!! We have added the level 1,2 and 3 stands to the False Bottom list of things we offer and I am soooooo glad its working out for ya!

Cheers
Jay

Just wanted to share my very positive experience. I finally after months/decades of annoying msg's purchased a 15" hinged false bottom. Here is a pic of it in my upside down keg (yeungling). It appears to fit perfectly but I'll know for sure following brew day on Saturday. Craftsmanship looks top notch. I received this item on Wednesday, I ordered on Monday. Thats quick. Definately $100 well spent. Cheers.

photo (2).jpg

To reverse hinge or not to reverse hinge - that is the question. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a false bottom (should have done this a while back and used my free shipping code - doh!).

I'm doing a direct fired RIMS and will be recirculating during the mash. I'm wondering about the reverse hinge vs. the standard hinge. I wasn't planning on getting a stand right now as I'll initially just be doing 5 gallon batches. However, if I move to 10 gallon batches in the future, I could see where I might want a stand. Is there any down side to getting the reverse hinge now and not using it with a stand?

Thanks!

Went ahead and ordered the standard hinge. Figured I could always add the heavy duty support later if I find I need it.

To reverse hinge or not to reverse hinge - that is the question. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a false bottom (should have done this a while back and used my free shipping code - doh!).

I'm doing a direct fired RIMS and will be recirculating during the mash. I'm wondering about the reverse hinge vs. the standard hinge. I wasn't planning on getting a stand right now as I'll initially just be doing 5 gallon batches. However, if I move to 10 gallon batches in the future, I could see where I might want a stand. Is there any down side to getting the reverse hinge now and not using it with a stand?

Thanks!

Well I have not used the FB with the hinges on top without a stand. But If you get one with a handle a reverse hinge and no stand, you can always use it with the hinges and the handle down until you get a stand then flip it over and have the handle available at that point.

Did that make sence at all?:D

Cheers
Jay

Who just got their new Jaybird false bottom and will be brewing for the first time on their new brew stand this weekend?

This_guy.jpg

Hi Jay,
Finally made it through the entire thread regarding your FB, its superior quality and your excellent customer service. I'm sold!
Do you have any free shipping promotions planned? I can't brew for a month or so have just moved and now reassembling the brewhouse, but thought it would be worth checking.
Cheers!
Keith

Keith
Welcome to the forum!
As for a free shipping deal, not any time soon. Maybe around Nov or Dec. I am slammed with orders and if I added a free shipping promo right now it would put me in the grave! I just did a free shipping deal on False Bottoms a few months back. I only do them a couple times a year.

Cheers
Jay

Jay, is there a threshold, or a guideline, as to how much weight your false bottoms will hold without the need for the additional support stands? I am wanting to convert a keg into my MLT, but am a little unsure as to whether I will need just the standard 15" FB or if I will need one of your additional support filters.

Also, how would the level 3 stand/filter work with a diptube in a boil kettle without the additional 15" false bottom? Would this provide enough filtering action for hops and break material by itself?

Jay, is there a threshold, or a guideline, as to how much weight your false bottoms will hold without the need for the additional support stands? I am wanting to convert a keg into my MLT, but am a little unsure as to whether I will need just the standard 15" FB or if I will need one of your additional support filters.

Also, how would the level 3 stand/filter work with a diptube in a boil kettle without the additional 15" false bottom? Would this provide enough filtering action for hops and break material by itself?

Great questions.
I have used my 15" for years without a stand without any issues. I did notice grain getting through a little, while I was doing larger batches 32+# but that is only after years of abuse. From what I have seen anything under 27# your good if your not doing a RIMS or HERMS. Since I started using the level 1 in my MLT I will say this. The added support and the added filtration from the material being there to help stop grain from getting in the diptube is a huge bonus.

As for the level 3 without the FB? I am not sure. I would guess it would clog fairly quickly, but I have not tried it myself and of course it's going to depend on the hop load you throw at it. You can always try it and if you need more filtration add the 15" FB later. You will need a hose clamp or something to hold the Level 3 down during the boil though.

Cheers
Jay

Keith
Welcome to the forum!
As for a free shipping deal, not any time soon. Maybe around Nov or Dec. I am slammed with orders and if I added a free shipping promo right now it would put me in the grave! I just did a free shipping deal on False Bottoms a few months back. I only do them a couple times a year.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks Jay,
I'll see how the re-build goes. It may be Nov by the time I get it all put back together.
Happy to hear business is booming.
When it comes to Quality, "If you build it, they will come!"
Thanks for all you do for this crazy, wonderful hobby.
Cheers!
Keith

I received 2 15" hinged false bottoms and two stands from Jay recently for my new kettles. They are outstanding. No problems, and I would happily order from again.

This is the boil kettle with the false bottom, and a level 3 stand underneath it for filtering hops and break material. The MLT has a level 1 stand.
7976815228_d74a531908_c.jpg

Jay,

After using a stainless mesh tube in my 2 gallon mash tun for small batches, and having it float upwards during every batch, I have decided to get a small custom false bottom from your site. I want to just put a 90 degree barb connection into the hole, instead of a diptube. I see the 90 degree barb on the fittings link picture:

Fittings.jpg

However, I do not see the 90 degree barb as an option in the fittings section itself. I really need a 1/2in MPT to 3/8" barb.

Also - is your 3/8 vinyl tubing suitable for mashing temps?

Please advise.

- Joe

Jay,

After using a stainless mesh tube in my 2 gallon mash tun for small batches, and having it float upwards during every batch, I have decided to get a small custom false bottom from your site. I want to just put a 90 degree barb connection into the hole, instead of a diptube. I see the 90 degree barb on the fittings link picture:

Fittings.jpg

However, I do not see the 90 degree barb as an option in the fittings section itself. I really need a 1/2in MPT to 3/8" barb.

Also - is your 3/8 vinyl tubing suitable for mashing temps?

Please advise.

- Joe

Joe
The 3/8 vinyl is not going to be ok for the mash temps but we do have 3/8" Silicone as a new part for us. I thought it was already listed on the site but maybe not. As for the barbed we used to carry them and stopped because after 3 years in business I had never sold a single one. I can get you one easy enough though. Let me look and see if I have any left in stock. Ill PM you with details.

Cheers
Jay

I suppose that's as good a reason as any, haha! No big deal if you don't have any left.

I look forward to your PM.

Jay,

I was looking to get a new polar ware 20 gal kettle, but want to be able to do 5 gal batches still. Can you do a false bottom with really short legs and a dip tube allowing for less dead space underneath to keep the mash for getting too thin?

Pat

Jay,

I was looking to get a new polar ware 20 gal kettle, but want to be able to do 5 gal batches still. Can you do a false bottom with really short legs and a dip tube allowing for less dead space underneath to keep the mash for getting too thin?

Pat

Pat
I sure can. 3/4" works really well. All you have to do is let me know in the comments section when you check out on the website you want the stand cut down. DO you have a way to drill a hole in the FB and cut a diptube?

Cheers
Jay

Right now I don't had a way to cut a hole. I'm sure I could find a drill bit of some kind. I really hadn't thought that far ahead since I didn't know if you made them short. I still have to get the kettle too so I have time before I need to figure it all out. I guess if you have good ideas on how to install one, that might be better than me trying to rig up something.

Jaybird:

I ordered a false bottom from you for my keggle a while ago and didn't get the handle installed on it. Stupid, I know.... Anyway I could ship it to you, have a handle welded on, and have it shipped back? Obviously I'd pay for the shipping both ways and the cost to put a handle on there. I'd certainly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Anyone else having troubles with Jaybird? I donated $100 to him back in August and he still hasn't figured out how to build me a FB for a 10G Blichmann Boilermaker. He stopped responding to my e-mails a couple weeks ago but it looks like he still checks this thread. I'm really dissapointed. I was looking forward to receiving it after all the hype on this forum. Hopefully he'll read this and either give me a product or a refund. I'm fine with either one at this point.

Haven't heard of anyone else having issues and recently ordered my keggle FB from Jaybird and had no issues. I suspect there's more to this story. Have you tried calling Jaybird at Norcalbrewing? After selling hundreds/thousands of false bottoms on here, I seriously doubt Jaybird is going to take your money and run.

TimmyWit said:
Yes, there is more to the story. When I ordered the FB in August, Jay contacted me to provide measurements for the Kettle. I'm deployed military so I don't have access to it at the moment. He did try to contact Blichmann to get the measurements. He later apologized for the delay and said he was considering ordering a kettle like mine so he could build it. That was about two weeks ago. I have e-mailed him twice since then to see where we're at and he's not responding. I understand he's a busy man but then I look at this forum and he has been posting frequently. Also, he has built them for 10G Boilermakers before. I don't think he's trying to take the money and run. If he simply can't do it without me providing dimensions, I would just like to know so I can figure something else out.

Isn't there anyone who can measure it for you? Expecting someone to order an expensive kettle because you can't provide the measurements is a bit absurd. I know he offered but still I would rather be certain myself.

I don't expect him to. I imagine he would order one to sell in his store. From his website, you can click on the brand and pick your options. It seems like he has the dimensions to take it from there. Also, I did provide him with dimensions I found online along with a dip tube measurement a buddy took. That's when he said he was considering ordering it so that he can get it right.

TimmyWit
Brother if you have sent me any more emails than the ones I responded to, I am sorry but I have not seen them. The last time we talked you wanted a custom FB with hole placement etc. I cant really do that without exact measurements from you. I though that we discussed you wern't going to be back state side for over a month, and I was going to order a kettle from Blingmann so I could build what you want and make it perfect for you. I did try to contact Blingmann with no response from them so I am putting together an order. I am happy to do what ever you like for your kettle but knowing you are overseas and this being custom I really didnt see any urgency. I will finish my order from them today and get this done and out the door for you ASAP.
If you want me to refund your $$ I am happy to do that for you for sure and I apologize for the issue. Sometimes when were dealing with custom stuff when the person is not with the kettle they want me to build something for, I do what I can, but its is hard when I dont have an exact measurement. Please understand that because the Bilngmann kettles come from China like I told you they are not all the same size. the couplings are not always put in the same spot etc etc. and this being a custom build I want it to fit perfect for you.
I just did a search in my email for your email and the last one I have is the one I responded to. PM me here is always the best way to get me. Its is direct to me. Only for you guys and there isnt 300 other emails to filter.

PM me and we will get this resolved for you.
Jay

Jaybird:

I ordered a false bottom from you for my keggle a while ago and didn't get the handle installed on it. Stupid, I know.... Anyway I could ship it to you, have a handle welded on, and have it shipped back? Obviously I'd pay for the shipping both ways and the cost to put a handle on there. I'd certainly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Ohh you bet. I will PM you with details on how to do that.

I like that I can remove them... honestly... if Jaybird made a handle that just sort of hooked into the false bottom I would buy that for sure.... I just didn't want a handle attached perm to the false bottom.

heh well I'll admit I thought about it both ways before ordering mine... I landed on the wire handles because I wasn't sure if I would like 1 or 2 handles best... 2 'handles' works best because it's super easy to spin the false bottom to get the dip tube to fit.

Now that's a good idea.....

I've been using the probe end of a thermometer jammed into a hole to spin it around to fit it in place. Then when I'm done mashing fighting like hell to get it apart.....so done with that.

Edit: I should note that these have been the easiest mashes I've ever done with this FB too. Continuous recirculation with a pump = HEAVEN!

I have what I think is the standard issue 10 gallon Igloo (yellow and red one, seen them all over). Currently I'm using a tube screen but getting ready to upgrade to your cooler false bottom. Do I need to measure it or do you have the Igloo ones pretty much down now?

Back