Plasti-Dip? Will this work and look good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortMonger

"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, just came across a project I have been meaning to do for a while now and wondered about going a step further. Let me know what you all think, please!!!

I made a lid for my mash tun (MT) a while back out of 1/2" plywood and white bubbly Styrofoam that I shaped with a hot clothes hanger. Since the Styrofoam would be a PITA to clean I have been using a cookie sheet between it and the new made lid. I had always planned on sealing it with some sort of thick paintable sealant so I could use it directly on top of my tun, and have finally run into a perfect choice for doing so with a product called Plasti-Dip http://www.plastidip.com/consumer/index.html . I read a couple of threads that Bernie Brewer chimed in on with this product so I gave it a look. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=20586&highlight=plasti-dip, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13545&highlight=plasti-dip, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15441&highlight=plasti-dip, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10205&highlight=plasti-dip. Thank you by the way Bernie Brewer. This stuff is exactly what I was looking for as far as usability/do-ability and aesthetics. So, now that I am going to complete my lid (finally), my question comes to you guys in that I am wondering about covering my MT as well.

MT.jpg

I always wanted nice pretty stainless to look at, but after the trouble of trying to keep temperature in such a vessel I had to wrap it with duct insulation. So, to me it is ugly now. If it needs to be cleaned up aesthetically then why not with the same plastic coating used on the lid? Now for the answers I am looking for. I plan on wrapping the tun with something a little more rigid like thin plastic and taping it and the corners down so it has a smoother look. Then I would tape off the top of the keg so it would not get covered in Plasti-Dip. Now, all I have to do is cover and tape the valve on the bottom and start spraying with Plasti-Dip. The stuff says it insulates from heat as well, but I wouldn't know how effective an insulator it is by itself.

My hot liquor tun (HLT) is also in need of the exact same fabrication of duct insulation and Plasti-Dip.

HLT.jpg

When I bought that from Sabco I was not expecting the tape and painted side on the keg, but I now know it doesn't matter as it needs to be insulated. I am planning on installing an electric hot water heating element, a stirrer blade, and a Ranco controller with thermowell in the lid I am manufacturing for the HLT. This will do away with the burner stand underneath the HLT and will allow me to completely insulate the underneath. With the underneath and the new lid I should be in great shape of controlled temperature and maintenance. There is one last piece of equipment I was thinking about giving an insulation job and a Plasti-Dip covering to. My lautering grant (LG).

grantandpump.jpg

I figure if I am doing so much why not it all. I know I lose a little temperature every time I put something through the LG and it will match the rest of my brewery. LOL, now I will only be unhappy with the way the kettle looks.

Boilkettle.jpg

Oh well, might have to bust out the high grit sand paper one day and work my way into some bar keepers friend on a polish brush..... one day, lol. I heard something about pickling stainless somewhere on here, might have to check that out again for an idea. Man I really need to paint (maybe have powder coated) the brew stand and but some casters on the bottom along with some 4" square plastic tube ends to really finish the brewery off nicely. I don't know what I will do once this thing is presentable, lol. I have been hiding it from my friends as is for so long I can't remember and would really like to beautify my setup.

Let me know you guys criticisms/praises/new or different ideas.

I think that plasti-dip should work fine, but just in case, I'd avoid the spray variety. I know spray paint, at least, does very unfavorable things to styrofoam, and while it could be a paint compound that's the culprit rather than the accelerant, would you want to risk it?

:off: I've used some plasti-dip for actual tools and it does a pretty solid job. I'm into computers too, and a few people report that it acts as a pretty decent vibrational dampener, too. Should you happen to have any vibrations that need dampening :p.

But other than that, looking good! Definitely outclasses my setup.

I was just thinking the spray would work, but will test it on a regular piece of Styrofoam first. I had the though of maybe painting the insulated area black and then letting it dry. Then come back with maybe some raised barley design on the black and paint it with the yellow Plasti-Dip where you can really make out the design.

RadicalEd said:
I think that plasti-dip should work fine, but just in case, I'd avoid the spray variety. I know spray paint, at least, does very unfavorable things to Styrofoam, and while it could be a paint compound that's the culprit rather than the accelerant, would you want to risk it?

:off: I've used some plasti-dip for actual tools and it does a pretty solid job. I'm into computers too, and a few people report that it acts as a pretty decent vibrational dampener, too. Should you happen to have any vibrations that need dampening :p.

But other than that, looking good! Definitely outclasses my setup.

Well Ed, you were right about the Plasti-dip melting Styrofoam, lol. I had three places where the duct tape I was using didn't quite cover and now I am having to re-tape and re-plasti-dip. This stuff is great for wood around the brewery. I just did the lid to my mash tun and it looks great so far (write-up and pics to come). I couldn't find the spray so I used the dip can product. I will definitely use the spray from now on unless dipping is required. The tape with Styrofoam under it feels like a more rigid golf cart seat. What a future project this is going to be.

Haha, I' sorry, that's too bad. Interesting that the liquid stuff would melt it as well...meh, styrofoam is pretty volatile stuff when you mix it with other chemicals, so it's not to surprising.

Glad it's going well for you so far, though! Any pics of the lid?

I'll throw some up when it gets finished. I have been taking them to document the entire project, since the entire brewery is getting a makeover.

One way to spray paint Styrofoam is to give it a good coat of latex house paint, I've used latex primer with good results also. Once you have the coat of latex you can paint with enamel. Or you can go to a craft store and buy water based spray paint and then laquer.

I thought about Rhino liner for the MT and HLT I will be insulating better and beautifying, but this plasti-dip is going to work great and I know it insulates as a secondary byproduct. I am not sure if the rhino liner would do that, but it would sure last forever.

Well, to finish out this thread I thought I would tell you guys what I learned.

I did the Plasti-Dip for my lids, (project here) and that worked out great. If I were to do it all over again I would use latex first on all the wood, and paint & caulk any crevices with silicone caulking on the Styrofoam before coating everything with Plasti-Dip.

I decided to go with Line-X truck bed-liner (project here) instead of the Plasti-Dip, and boy am I glad I did. Other than a little disappointment for the liner guy's less-than-professional job and business practices, I am happy with the way they turned out.
DSCN1867.JPG

DSCN1870.JPG

Here's a close up of what the stuff looks like. It is very rigid, like tire rubber or thick bulls hide leather.
DSCN1871.JPG

I found out that it does insulate, just not how much. The Line-X page just says adds some "R" value and dampens sound, lol. With the three coverings with Reflectix Insulation, I wasn't really worried about the "R" value anyway.

So, I guess in retrospect, Plasti-Dip would work only liner is a better/tougher choice. The lids however, need to be more flexible for a good insulating seal and the Plasti-Dip works great for that application. Two great products I am very glad I found out about. Hope everyone enjoys looking at the projects as much as I did making them.

WortMonger said:
Well, to finish out this thread I thought I would tell you guys what I learned.

I did the Plasti-Dip for my lids, (project here) and that worked out great. If I were to do it all over again I would use latex first on all the wood, and paint & caulk any crevices with silicone caulking on the Styrofoam before coating everything with Plasti-Dip.

I decided to go with Line-X truck bed-liner (project here) instead of the Plasti-Dip, and boy am I glad I did. Other than a little disappointment for the liner guy's less-than-professional job and business practices, I am happy with the way they turned out.

Here's a close up of what the stuff looks like. It is very rigid, like tire rubber or thick bulls hide leather.

I found out that it does insulate, just not how much. The Line-X page just says adds some "R" value and dampens sound, lol. With the three coverings with Reflectix Insulation, I wasn't really worried about the "R" value anyway.

So, I guess in retrospect, Plasti-Dip would work only liner is a better/tougher choice. The lids however, need to be more flexible for a good insulating seal and the Plasti-Dip works great for that application. Two great products I am very glad I found out about. Hope everyone enjoys looking at the projects as much as I did making them.

I was serious when I said you need to write a book with all of your projects. I like how well you document everything and include pictures.

Start running around your set up with a camera and take pictures, then post them. That'll give me a chance to point and choose which things I want to know about!

Great job dude!

LOL, GAC. Just you wait, I am planning on documenting my entire setup and a brew session on My Updated Brewery thread. I started sanding my stand yesterday to get ready for painting. Then, I wire it for plug-ins and I am ready to wock n woll. I feel like giving a big 'ol redneck YEEHAWW!!!!! (Disclaimer- WortMonger is not in fact a Redneck and hope he didn't offend any of his next door neighbors or other residence of his town or state.) Last but not least, is the mash mixer project. I am having trouble finding a ice cream machine (motor for my mash stirrer) this time of the year, frickin Wal-Mart is not stocking them till later this month.

Dude said:
Those look incredible.

WOW!
Thanks Dude, they were a bear to come to completion. I kept hearing, "They'll be done tomorrow." I heard that for half a week after they set there a week prior to that. Finally though, they are done.

Go ahead, lol. What is it they say, "copying is the highest form of flattery." Well then, flatter me with a twice as good setup, lol. I love seeing other peoples projects, but it is so much fun doing my own.

Back