fermentation done but temperature got above 75 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billorly

Reaction score
The fermentation is done, been about a week and a half in primary. The temperature gods have been good to me so far but today it got to about 80 degrees in the closet I keep my primary in.

Does this present a problem with the beer since it has finished fermenting? I checked the temperature before I left for work and it was ok but when I returned it was a lot higher. I threw a cold wet towel over the fermenter and put a couple small ziplock bags with ice in the towel to try to cool it down a bit.

While not totally ideal, your beer should be just fine. It sounds like you had the temp well controlled during the most important phase of fermentation- the first 2 days. This is when the most undesirable esters and off-flavors would have been produced. If anything, the warmer temps helped to clean up your beer or ferment it out. Cheers!

I still think a resonable temp should be mantained even after initial fermentation is done. It's still slowly fermenting down to FG at this point. Have you measured an FG? I always give it time to settle out clear or slightly misty before racking to bottling bucket. During this same time,the yeast are cleaning up after themselves,then taking these by products of fermentation to the bottom with them.

Back