Style you will never brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.when I read the title of this thread, I thought "theres no style i'd not brew", but then I thought of how I dislike sours, so my answer is sours.

I'm aging a lambic Framboise right now for a mid summer wedding. Its a young sour to be sure and more about the berries, but still its a funk.

So I guess I'm brewing a French/Belgian now too. Lol.

As far as lagers go, I want to make a real Marzan, and a real Czech Pils, and I suppose I will, soon enough.

OH and edit. I bought a twelve of SN Summerfest. Nice light lager with a good balance. I'd brew that if I found the recipe.

German or Bohemian Pilsner. I'm not a fan of Saaz hops.
I guess I'm not a fan of laggers at all. I'll brew at least an Amber Lager (similar to Sam Adams) to at least try the yeast.

Tough call. At first I'd say IPA's because I hate hop bombs...but I've been playing with late addition hops and have developed what I consider an awesome APA. Great hops flavor and aroma without the drying bitterness, so I imagine I'll be trying to make an IPA that's similar.

I love Belgians, but feel Saison's are just OK. So probably Saisons and German Pilsners would be the styles I'm not likely to brew because I really don't want 5 gallons of them around.

Lagers. So much work to produce a beer with so little flavor.

That is a very broad characterization. There are plenty of lagers that are not light, nor are they flavorless. Just because the vast majority of beer made is a lager and very light in flavor and color doesn't mean that there aren't many other kinds that can be made.

Personally, I won't ever brew a Lambic.

That is a very broad characterization. There are plenty of lagers that are not light, nor are they flavorless. Just because the vast majority of beer made is a lager and very light in flavor and color doesn't mean that there aren't many other kinds that can be made.

Personally, I won't ever brew a Lambic.

Meant to say light lager. I've had some good lagers. Magic Hat's Vinyl Lager comes to mind.

I like almost all beers but I think it's safe to say that I won't be brewing anything with peated malt in it. I have no idea what I would do with or who would drink 5 gallons of a peated experiment gone wrong. Some people love it just not my thing.

before this weekend I would have said Witbier, but I had an incredible Imperial wit, so I might do an imperial wit, but still wouldn't do a regular wit

A saison ... unless we're talking about a sour saison, then hell yeah, I'd make that. I'm just not a big fan of your normal, run-of-the-mill saisons. Doesn't do it for me.

I cant say there is one style I wont brew. I love the experience of trying things and being experimental. However, that native beer made from chewed corn, I think my adventurous side will stop there. LOL

Barley Wine ( I have had them, and dont like em.)
American Light Lager ( I can get water from the tap)

Any beer with fruit in it! (ok I'll make an exception for lemon zest in a wheat ale)

I just read all the posts and I agree with the above, Scotch Ale and have only brewed 1 hefe in 3+ years of brewing.

But another observation, why all the people that wouldn't brew Belgian style beers? I just dont understand that because there are so many varieties and they are all different, theres gotta be one that you like.

I've tried like 3 or 4 different ones and I just really didn't like them.

Same with saison weizen. I've had a few but I just don't care for those styles either.

Let alone one I liked enough to make 5 gallons of.

I like IPAs, but living in Beervana, I could have a different one every day of the year, so I never brew them. I stick with Browns, Milds and other beers that are hard to find. I do have a recipe for a low-ABV hoppy beer, which I make for the summer every couple years.

Up until a few months ago I would definitely say an IPA but hoppy beers are starting to grow on me so maybe someday I will.

Right now I'd say I won't brew lagers because I don't have any way of controlling the temperature enough. Plus there are just too many ale varieties I enjoy more than most lager styles. However someday in the future I will probably give it a try.

So I guess there is really no style I would never ever brew.

I was so afraid I was going to be the only one to say Belgians - I thought I was the only one on here who doesn't like them. My college roommate in the late 70s started homebrewing and every batch he made just tasted yeasty and green no matter how long it bottle conditioned. That is what I taste every time I taste a Belgian - a yeasty, green beer. And no, I haven't tried a huge number of Belgians, but every one I have tried has been very unpleasant.

But another observation, why all the people that wouldn't brew Belgian style beers? I just dont understand that because there are so many varieties and they are all different, theres gotta be one that you like.

I find phenolic yeast flavors and dark sugars unpleasant.

i'll likely never brew a sour... just dont enjoy them myself and don't know what i would do with 5+ gallons of them

another vote for sours here. i'm not sure if i'll ever bother with proper lagering equipment either

I can't think of a style I wouldn't brew. Hmm.. And as for sours I love them, and can't wait for mine to get their time in so their nice and tasty. It's a time consuming thing to do, but IMO it's well worth it if you like them, considering the price of commercial sours.

another vote for sours here. i'm not sure if i'll ever bother with proper lagering equipment either

why not? Lagering is simple enough. At the very least, you could tuck the bottles (after they carbonate) in the bottom of the fridge for a month or so. Bout as simple as it could be. I, on the other hand, love lagers and have a chest freezer (modified with thermostat) set aside just for them.

Lambics....Can't stand them. But why all the hate for American lagers? I've made them and loved them. Making a lighter lager is the hardest thing I've ever done in the world of homebrewing. Try making one. You may hate BMC for the companies they are, but you'll gain some respect for what they do. There is no place to hide imperfection, which is easy to do in a stout or IPA. And for summer drinking, can't beat a homebrewed lite American lager.

American light lagers, If I want a lager I will go for a Pilsner or a Bock.
Rauchbier too probably, I have a deep hatred for smokey flavors in beverages so scotch is right out for me too.

I'm too busy brewing everything else!

many people like the way they taste. not everyone likes the taste of sour, but some do. even skittles is on the bandwagon.

I will say this - I love the creativity and willingness to try damn near anything home brewers have.

But why all the hate for American lagers? I've made them and loved them. Making a lighter lager is the hardest thing I've ever done in the world of homebrewing. Try making one. You may hate BMC for the companies they are, but you'll gain some respect for what they do. There is no place to hide imperfection, which is easy to do in a stout or IPA. And for summer drinking, can't beat a homebrewed lite American lager.

I personally have no problems with lagers. I can't speak for anyone else, but I do have problems with brewing a beer with either corn or rice in it. I just don't see the point. I definitely understand that it's challenging, but I don't want to ever do it (aside for using corn sugar to prime bottles). I just cannot get into corn or rice beer. Give me barley all day and all night.

d3track said:
Sours. I just don't get the popularity.

PM me your addy... my sour hating brew buddy just got the first taste of my latest... he's a lager/ipa guy. his comment was "this is a sour? it just makes me want to drink another"... sours don't have to be out of control.

i'll happily send u one.

American Light beer! I can get my water free from the tap without any effort than you very much!
Sour ales. I've started to gain an appreciation for sour ales recently. I like to have them when I go out on a occasion. But I can't imagine ever wanting 5 gallons of it not to mention the time it takes to make one.
It's unlikely I'd ever brew any heavily spiced beers again. I like to have one once in a while, but again the volume is too much and I get sick of it. I use to brew a chocolate mint stout which I liked. But I got sick of it after a few bottles.
Besides that, I can't think of anything I wouldn't try brewing.

Well nix the Sour beers from the list above lol. I now have a Berliner in primary. Will teach me never to say "never" again lol

HA! Another "I'll never" reneger!!!!

Making an american light lager as we speak........DAMMIT! I have developed a slight penchant for Miller Lite with a fresh slice of lime in it.

Long story, but strange coincidences and making the best of bad situations has made me put fresh slices of lime in um......plain tasting beer.

FWIW, if nothing else, NEVER buy corona again. Miller with a lime is better, cheaper.

Not into wheat beers or barleywines. But I'm sure I could be convinced otherwise at some point :drunk:

Anything that takes over 6 months to mature. I do not have patience beyond that point. Like gueuze. Make a lambic, wait 3 years, then blend with a 1 year lambic? Not gonna happen.

Back