Moisture in my keezer after installing eva-dry 500

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
I have been having moisture problems in my keezer. I took everything out, dried it completely and put an eva dry 500 in it. I still had moisture forming a day later so I put silicone on all my joints from the outside(they were previously sealed from the inside. I still have moisture after doing that. My EVA DRY is still blue. So it would seem it is not removing moisture. Do I have to do something to activate it? I didn't see anything in the instructions. Any suggestions?

43 degrees with a differential of 4 so it goes from 47 to 39

How large is the keezer?
It will likely take more than a day for that little unit to make for a dry environment.
How often are you opening the keezer lid? Each time you open you start back at square one again.
Are there any air gaps where a temp probe or other item enters and could allow ambient moisture to transfer?
Try a small tub of damp rid to see if that can work a little faster then the silica gel Eva-dry device. Then perhaps the Eva dry can maintain it once dry?

Generally, persistent moisture speaks to air leaks or liquid leaks of both.

I sealed up where the temp probe goes in, and also where the gas line goes in. It was completely dry when I put the eva dry in there and shut the lid. I am thinking that there are small gaps around where the shanks go through though. I don't think I sealed those, I'll have to take that apart to check. The keezer holds 4 kegs, I don't know the size I bought it off CL.

Hmm. Is th keezer in a particularly humid environment? I don't think the keezer needs to be clinically airtight, I didn't seal shanks with silicone or anything.... What is the humidity issue you're having? Frosting on the walls? Water collection on the bottom?

Moisture on the walls around the top. Which will probably end up on the bottom. I might by some damp rid to put in there as well.

I've had this EvaDry thing for 3-4 months now. My keezer is well-sealed and I'm still getting significant condensation. Temp is set at 40. The balls (?) in the window have remained blue. I'm not sure this thing is even working.

Weird, I've had excellent results with eva-dry. I only open the door a couple times/month and its bone dry in both the keezer and ferm fridge. I have fans in the keezer too, that probably helps the eva-dry collect moisture.

Been there, mopped that. Check out this thread.

From multiple cycles I've found the EV-500 consistently extracts 5 ounces of water between dryings if I pull it when the indicator goes pink(ish). Depending on the weather, it can go from freshly dried to soaked in less than a week...

Cheers!

Great Idea... One question regarding the CPU fan. How do you wire it into a household 110 outlet?

Been there, mopped that. Check out this thread.

From multiple cycles I've found the EV-500 consistently extracts 5 ounces of water between dryings if I pull it when the indicator goes pink(ish). Depending on the weather, it can go from freshly dried to soaked in less than a week...

Cheers!

I cut the end off an old 5v cell phone charger and soldered it to my fans. I had 5 fans running off one charger (parallel), but only use 2 in my new keezer.

I installed one of the Eva Dry units a while back and it has helped a lot. I do have a fan running, too. Before I'd get puddles of water in the bottom of my 5.5cf keezer after a week or two but it's been much drier. I think I plugged it in to dry it out after the first week or so, and it's been less frequent since then.

Great Idea... One question regarding the CPU fan. How do you wire it into a household 110 outlet?

As mentioned in the referenced thread, I already had a 12V tower cooler fan running from an AC/DC wall wart with switchable output voltage (5/7.5/9/12) that runs through a grommet installed in the back edge of the keezer lid.

I terminated the power feed with dual gender 4 pin Molex connectors (think PC hard drive power connectors). The fan leads also have the same connectors, so they daisy chain easily and when I need to run the dry cycle on the EV-500 it just takes a few seconds to extricate it. Adding the fan for the EV-500 was a piece of cake...

Cheers!

Can anyone with an eva-dry unit do me a favour and look at the back label to see if its dual voltage ?

Can anyone with an eva-dry unit do me a favour and look at the back label to see if its dual voltage ?

Considering how toasty the 500 gets when plugged into a 110vac outlet, I would have guessed "No", but I just checked mine and it is indeed rated for 110-240vac 50/60hz...

Cheers!

[edit] I've said it before and I'll say it again for emphasis: the passive units aren't worth the scratch without a fan...

Thanks day_trippr.

Unfortunately, whilst trying to find out the voltage via the various vendors, I noticed that the machine has the blue-pink indicator stuff in it.

Not sure if any of the indicator stuff would vapourise out together with the water. I guess if you recharge it in an outside wall socket it would not be an issue.

The indicator is usually some type of metal salt (cobalt chloride), it's not going to evaporate with the water.

Back