RIMS vs blankets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeFegely

Reaction score
After 20+ all grain batches, I feel the next point to improve is maintaining mash temps. I typically lose 2 to 4 degrees over a 60 minute mash in my 10 gallon cooler. HERMS is too expensive right now; I was considering building a RIMS system. Somewhere here I read a thread that discussed that the coolers that we typically mash with are designed to keep things cold - not to keep things hot. Specifically the sides and bottom are well insulated, but the top is not. Obvious enough, but I never thought about it....

For my last 2 batches, I have covered the top of my cooler with 3 or 4 folded blankets. I have not been able to measure any temperature drop (I use a Thermapen digital thermocouple thermometer). The mashes were done in my 55 degree garage.

I still need to hit the initial temp right, but this is a nice improvement at no cost to me.:rockin:

RIMs is the way to go. Play with fire! Get you hands on some tincture of Iodine to check for starch conversion, youd be surprised to learn that a 1 hour mash is usually unecessary with todays malts.

Back