Brett in a Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
Anybody ever try this? I am just pondering, seeing that cider season is getting close. I plan on doing ten gallons this year (hopefully). Maybe I'll do 5 gallons of just regular cider and maybe 5 with something experimental. I was wondering if the Brett (or say a Lambic Blend) would work? Anybody have any ideas on this?

Zoe - have no idea, but I always hate to see a posting not responded too. Sorry I don't have any knowledge to help ya.

Some commercial ciders (such as Cidre Bouché Brut De Normandie) exhibit brett characteristics, most likely due to naturally-occurring Brettanomyces yeasts.

The Irish cider fermentation process can be divided into three sequential phases based on the predominant yeast type present. Kloeckera/Hanseniaspora uvarum type yeasts predominate in the initial ‘fruit yeast phase’. Thereafter Saccharomyces cerevisiae type yeast dominate in the ‘fermentation phase’, where the alcoholic fermentation takes place. Finally the ‘maturation phase’ which follows, is dominated by Dekkera and Brettanomyces type yeasts. H. uvarum type yeast were found to have originated from the fruit. Brettanomyces type yeast could be traced back to the press house, and also to the fruit. The press house was identified as having high levels of S. cerevisiae type yeast.

This can add a nice level of complexity, or it can turn a pleasant fruity cider into a horror laced with off-putting odours.

I did, Wyeast Roeselare blend, its still in secondary. I think its too cold in my work lab to really get going. In my other lambics at room temperature its getting really sour. It's not bad so far, overal I'm thinking its not going to turn out well, maybe me just being pesimistic. If you're going to try it, try a small batch(2.5gal) and go with that brett type that exhibits the mild brett character - my .02.

Good thoughts land. I know they are naturally occuring with naturally fermented cider. Guess I should have added that I go the campden route at first because I like to be in control. I don't want to wind up with vinegar really. So since I like doing this, I was thinking of a primary ferment with an ale yeast and then adding some brett or something for complexity. hrmmm. well I dunno :D

landhoney said:
I did, Wyeast Roeselare blend, its still in secondary. I think its too cold in my work lab to really get going. In my other lambics at room temperature its getting really sour. It's not bad so far, overal I'm thinking its not going to turn out well, maybe me just being pesimistic. If you're going to try it, try a small batch(2.5gal) and go with that brett type that exhibits the mild brett character - my .02.

Landhoney, I know it's been a while, but any word on how this turned out? I'm gearing up for a cider experiment using the Wyeast Roeselare blend and was hoping to gleen some insight from someone who had already been down that path :)

Latest posts

Back