Cutting Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottgar12

Reaction score
Thanks to Bobby I was able to cut perfect circles in my kegs. I was going to use a plasma cutter but I was worried about cutting nice circles, plus its not that practical because most of us don't have spare plasma cutters sitting around. Here are some pictures of the process.

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

I am going to cut 2 kegs as soon as the Tavern Owner pulls them aside for me.

I was going to cut one slightly larger than the other as to have a ready made lid. Is that what most folks do?

I actually bought lids from sabco. They are 30 bucks each but it turn they are real nice lids so thats up to you.

1-1/2" PVC coupler is what I used as my pivot in my jig. might have been 1-1/4"

also I went nice and light and had a VERY VERY VERY clean cut on my second keggle. my first one I put more pressure than needed and the cut looked like the one in the OP. looks like it got pretty hot and some sharp jagged edges.

-=Jason=-

ah ok. that makes sense.

edit: although, in the OP, the opening on the hole saw is facing up so I assume it was fitting inside the hole.

I cut a second one few days ago, too.
here's my "jig". I was surprised how fast it took. Less than 5 minutes, and I was taking my sweet time. =)

Keggle_Jig_6.jpg

I freehanded, kind of. Used the angle grinder against the keg lip as a guide. Perfect circle the lazy way :)

I used a plasma cutter to cut my keg and the dross on the edges is pretty hard to clean up. Next time I will use the angle grinder method.

I've been having some serious issues getting the stem out of my (I assume) euro sanke. Through brute force, I've managed to depressurize the keg and remove the safety clip, but I can't get the stem to unscrew to save my life. I'll probably just go ahead cut the lid off, but it's bothering me that I can't get the stem out. The blog I linked above mentions an "S" stamp on one side if the stem. Mine is also stamped but I'm 95% sure it's an "R", not and "S".

Any suggestions on getting the stem to turn?

use a flat head and hammer to spin the center post so you can remove it?

first keg I did was really easy almost fell out on its own. the second keg I did I had to muscle the thing out of there.

-=Jason=-

use a flat head and hammer to spin the center post so you can remove it?

first keg I did was really easy almost fell out on its own. the second keg I did I had to muscle the thing out of there.

-=Jason=-

I tried that before and after getting the safety latch disabled. I even stepped up my game to a stone chisel and 3lb sledge and it won't budge.

I certainly feel like I've hammered enough...maybe I'll demoralize it with a string of expletives when I get home.

Got my jig built. Since I can't get the stem out and pivot inside, I made a collar with a 2.5 inch hole saw. Had I had picked up the correct size cutting wheel today, I'd already be done.

IMG_03524.JPG

Got my jig built. Since I can't get the stem out and pivot inside, I made a collar with a 2.5 inch hole saw. Had I had picked up the correct size cutting wheel today, I'd already be done.

IMG_03524.JPG

when you do make the cut. take it nice and easy barely scoring the metal, yeah it will take a few more passes, but your cut will be super clean and very little to debur. maybe 5minutes max. just remember light passes and let the grinder walk around the keg, do not go opposite direction your blade is spinning it will want to dig in and cut deep.

-=Jason=-

IMG_03524.JPG

I picked up a NFS keg with that same pattern on the chime. The spear on that keg was non-removable, can't remember exactly why of the top of my head. I remember there was some sort of deformation on it to lock it in place.

I certainly feel like I've hammered enough...

I have had this happen as well. What I think happens is that it gets "off center" because you are only applying pressure in 1 spot vs. evenly.

As long as the pressure is released and you have hit the tab with a hammer a couple of times it should have loosened. does it wiggle? if it wiggles try using your fingers to wiggle while unscrewing and pulling the stem up.

I have had this happen as well. What I think happens is that it gets "off center" because you are only applying pressure in 1 spot vs. evenly.

As long as the pressure is released and you have hit the tab with a hammer a couple of times it should have loosened. does it wiggle? if it wiggles try using your fingers to wiggle while unscrewing and pulling the stem up.

If it's consistent with the one I had, it'll wiggle but be un-removable due to the spot deformations that were done after installation. I believe this was designed to be a throw away keg, not one that could be reconditioned.

It's a 2". I know people have used 1.5" PVC with success as well but I had a hole saw laying around but no PVC.

I found that a Campbell's Soup can opened with a Top Cutting can opener is a perfect fit.

I gotta ask. Doing it this way, is there a need to remove the stem in the first place? I got a Miller keg that is putting up a good fight and I am thinking of just cutting the damn top off without dealing with the stem.

Thoughts?

I gotta ask. Doing it this way, is there a need to remove the stem in the first place? I got a Miller keg that is putting up a good fight and I am thinking of just cutting the damn top off without dealing with the stem.

Thoughts?

If the stems in the way and you dont have a good hole to pivot around, then it could be a problem. If not then Id say go for it. When the stems out its a perfect 2" i.d. Did you try hitting it with a hammer and punch?

I got a Miller keg that is putting up a good fight and I am thinking of just cutting the damn top off without dealing with the stem.
Thoughts?
You did equalize/release the pressure 1st? and removed the snap ring? I bet a regular screw driver and a rubber mallet is all that is needed. I have also had a "stuck spear" only to find that I needed to lift the spear up the tiny bit the snap ring was taking up and it spun free by hand. If it wiggles you are golden...

I ended up drilling a hole in the top near the stem so I could fill it with water and used a Campbell's Soup can as part of the jig to cut the thing right off. No need to deal with the stem at all. The sup can slips right over the outside of the stem.

Now I need to build some kind of SS Corona Beach scene in the yard so I can use this 'umbrella'.

Thoughts?

Sorry I missed this. Looks like you already did it, but yeah, it should work. Just depressurize the keg first.

I use a piece of pvc, i ran a bolt through it with a couple of nuts to position the bolt length (diameter of cut) and the bolt screws where my handle goes. very simple.

3019-keggle-cutting-jig.jpg

Back