Do I need to bleed my naturally carbed keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrookdaleBrew

Reaction score
I'm using a keg for the first time and racked my beer on to 2.5oz of priming solution this past Friday. Is it okay to just set it and forget it for the next 3 weeks or do I need to bleed it every so often to relieve some of the pressure?

Also, will I need to let it sit on the CO2 tank for any period of time before serving or will it be ready to go as soon as I set it to serving pressure and hook it up to my tap?

I ask because I'm planning on having people over for the ceremonial first keg tapping and I'd like things to go as smoothly as possible.

If you are naturally carbing, you souldnt set it and forget it. No need to do both!
Just let it sit there with no gas hooked up for 2-3 weeks. Then hook it up and set it and your serving pressure and it should be good to go.

You shouldn't bleed off the CO2 from your keg. The pressure build up is what keeps the CO2 in solution.

Thanks guys, I didn't think I needed to do anything (bleeding is a force carbing thing, right?) but I just wanted to make sure!

ive been reading up on kegging because i have a new keg system ready to go. you may want to burp off the pressure before tapping a natural carbed keg so when you hook up you co2 hose beer doesn't back up into the regulator. just what i read maybee someelse can confirm?

Make sure to seal your keg with CO2 before letting it sit; it might not seal without a little shot of CO2 first. I tried to naturally carb, without hitting it with CO2, and after 3 weeks it was flat, as it didn't seal properly.

In all honesty, I'm not sure why you use less sugar, I just know based on my research that anyone that uses 4-5oz says their beer comes out way too carbonated.

Also, I didn't seal my keg with CO2 because I haven't found a place to fill my tank yet, but I am sure it's sealed because as a test I pulled up on my pressure release just long enough to get a nice, forceful hiss out of it. I think I'll be good until I tap it.

Back