Just added cane sugar to boil. Problem??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZBrewMan

Reaction score
I was adding 1# to a heavily hopped IIPA to help it attenuate properly. Of course, just after adding the sugar I read that adding it before the yeast can get at the malted sugars can lead to problems.

Shot myself in the foot?

Short answer, don't worry about it now. If you can taste it in the beer you are learning your likes and dislikes.

Long answer, hopefully it makes sense.
#1 of table sugar to a heavily hopped beer should mean a heavy malted beer also. #1 will not be noticeable with a large grain bill. Personally I don't go over 5% of the ferment-able sugars in a batch, but it really will not be noticed above %10 to %20 depending on how detailed your taste is.
If I go above %5 in a recipe I invert the table sugar using a little water, a little lemon juice and boil the sucker.
As an example:
Chimay-blue clone.
calls for 12.1 % or 2.00 lb Candy Sugar,
I take 2 lbs of sugar, add the juice from a lemon, or any acid really, around 3 tsps of water, and heat until it hits soft crack temps. Adding water by the tsp if needed.
Then I just pour it in during the last 10 minutes. WITH CAUTION, 275F sugar lava making contact with 200F wort reacts a little badly.

Inverting sugar.
* Soft Ball * 115 �C 239F
* Hard Ball * 127 �C 260.6F
* Soft Crack * 135 �C 275F
* Hard Crack * 150 �C 302F

Hope this helps relax you.

I was adding 1# to a heavily hopped IIPA to help it attenuate properly. Of course, just after adding the sugar I read that adding it before the yeast can get at the malted sugars can lead to problems.

Shot myself in the foot?

I've also heard that you can get better attenuation by adding the sugar later in the fermentation. The logic is to let the yeast eat the more difficult sugars (maltose) first, then give them the easier sugars. It should help lighten the body of the beer, even if you added it early.

To earlier poster: I added sugar to the boil. About 30 minutes.

I've also heard that you can get better attenuation by adding the sugar later in the fermentation. The logic is to let the yeast eat the more difficult sugars (maltose) first, then give them the easier sugars. It should help lighten the body of the beer, even if you added it early.

Yeah, this is why I added the sugar to the bill. Didn't fully research this idea before I brewed. Dumb mistake on my part.

Back