how many times can you pitch on top of same yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undallas

Reaction score
I have been using the same Pacman yeast cake for 3 batches on different brew... IBU from light to bitter....
I know it is getting thick, about 1" in a 6.5G plastic ferm.
How many times have you pitch on top of yeast cake?
I'm a bit lazy to do the whole washing right now.

You are safe with 10 if you don't introduce much air and if you put your wort right on top of the old stuff. After 10 generations it would mutate even under the best conditions. If you're worried about the volume of yeast sediment, just throw a bunch of it away. You don't need that much, as you know.

BierMuncher has been pitching on the same yeast cake since 2007. He's got the price for nottingham per batch down to less than a nickel. :D

without a wash or at the very least tossing out 1/2 the cake. I would think your MAXED But thats just me.
Hmmm a lazy brewer what's with that? You mean you haven't build a brewery in your home like the rest of us?LOL

You are safe with 10 if you don't introduce much air and if you put your wort right on top of the old stuff. After 10 generations it would mutate even under the best conditions. If you're worried about the volume of yeast sediment, just throw a bunch of it away. You don't need that much, as you know.

I don't know. That is roughly the commercial rule of thumb and:

1. They have microbiological skills
2. They pitch viable yeast, not pack on to cakes.
3. They observe the characteristics of their yeast and discontinue use when they change. Someone to lazy to wash yeast is too lazy to do this.
4. They are not leaving finished beer on yeast for weeks after fermentation is complete.
5. They are putting the yeast into a container that was sanitized between batches.

BierMuncher has been pitching on the same yeast cake since 2007. He's got the price for nottingham per batch down to less than a nickel. :D

Awesome.. I probably won't go that far before I scare myself on wasting 5-10 gallons batch. BTW, I just pitch your Haus PA on top of this Pacman cake....
I think Pacman + Edwort = happy brewing..

thanks

I don't know. That is roughly the commercial rule of thumb and:

1. They have microbiological skills
2. They pitch viable yeast, not pack on to cakes.
3. They observe the characteristics of their yeast and discontinue use when they change. Someone to lazy to wash yeast is too lazy to do this.
4. They are not leaving finished beer on yeast for weeks after fermentation is complete.
5. They are putting the yeast into a container that was sanitized between batches.

i'll get myself into gear on yeast washing.... that way, I can save some yeast for future brew too.

My record is 8 batches on wlp004. Would have gone more had I not potentially contaminated the empty (other than cake) carboys.

Back