Fruit Beer Blood Orange Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVBrewing said:
I don't suppose you have a gravity reading on the Bloodorangeaid itself? If not I'll take one when I mix it up. Just trying to plug it into beersmith before hand for accurate OG and ABV potential. Without the addition of the bloodorangeaid I'm already getting OG 1.069 & ABV 6.9

Sorry I haven't spent the time to calculate it, I know that in my lemon-lime Hef someone figured out the ABV for the limeade, but I'm not sure how much it would increase with the syrup.

I made this recipe a few months back, but I never got around to getting the blood orangeade, so I just dumped the lemonade in and rocked with that. With the lemonade and sorachi, it came out like a crisp lemon wheat. It is great, especially outside on a hot day. It's definitely better than Abita's lemon wheat.

I really didn't get any hefe flavor. I think maybe it was dominated by the other yeast. But in hindsight, I think it came out better than if hefe flavor did come through.

So here it is. Turned out very nice. Good citrus Arron's and orange finish. Defiantly a fantastic summer quencher! Thanks Sd-Slim for a great recipe.....

image-763587916.jpg

rappell said:
So here it is. Turned out very nice. Good citrus Arron's and orange finish. Defiantly a fantastic summer quencher! Thanks Sd-Slim for a great recipe.....

Good looking beer! Glad you enjoyed the recipe!

Making recipe this weekend. I will be using this product instead of the Orange mix. It's completely pure blood orange juice. It's used in the culinary industry for desserts. Will post how it turns out.

image-1735848139.jpg

Paquitin said:
Making recipe this weekend. I will be using this product instead of the Orange mix. It's completely pure blood orange juice. It's used in the culinary industry for desserts. Will post how it turns out.

How did this turn out?

SD-SLIM said:
How did this turn out?

image-3813642097.jpg

It taste like a Mimosa. It's an amazing beer. Everyone that tries has to have a second one. Awesome recipe. Certainly will become a regular
Thanks

Paquitin said:
It taste like a Mimosa. It's an amazing beer. Everyone that tries has to have a second one. Awesome recipe. Certainly will become a regular
Thanks

I'm glad you liked it...I got another PM telling me that they got 2nd place with this beer!

So I brewed 20 gallons of my blood orange Hef for my halloween party....I'm stuck in Seattle until the 30th...so no time to keg the beer and have it taste the way it should...so I guess this means I'm having poker night a week later!

@SD-SLIM - I ended up brewing this recipe this past Saturday. The only thing I couldn't manage to find at my LHB was the light brown sugar so I used dark brown sugar. I am guessing this will not make a difference in taste but will end up making the beer look darker then it normally would have turned out. I also suspected that you wanted the brown sugar in the MASH so I mixed it in with the grains.

So locally I can find Torani syrups at a ton of places but naturally not a single one of them carried the flavor I needed for this recipe. So I ended up going with the amazon prime bottle which is about double the cost of the same 750ml size bottles at any local store.

In a few days I will mix up the simply lemonade / blood orange extract and add that with the second pack of yeast. Then in 2 1/2 weeks I will move to a keg or secondary if i haven't drank an existing keg empty yet.

maturemutation said:
@SD-SLIM - I ended up brewing this recipe this past Saturday. The only thing I couldn't manage to find at my LHB was the light brown sugar so I used dark brown sugar. I am guessing this will not make a difference in taste but will end up making the beer look darker then it normally would have turned out. I also suspected that you wanted the brown sugar in the MASH so I mixed it in with the grains.

So locally I can find Torani syrups at a ton of places but naturally not a single one of them carried the flavor I needed for this recipe. So I ended up going with the amazon prime bottle which is about double the cost of the same 750ml size bottles at any local store.

In a few days I will mix up the simply lemonade / blood orange extract and add that with the second pack of yeast. Then in 2 1/2 weeks I will move to a keg or secondary if i haven't drank an existing keg empty yet.

Their is only slight variances from light to dark brown sugar, so you will be fine....I add my brown sugar to the boil, so that I get 100% extraction from it, where as if you add it to the mash, a small portion could get caught up in the grain (could, don't have data on several brews done both ways to compare, so it's a theory).... Their is a online store called lollipop that sells syrups for $5 a bottle and if you buy 2 shippings free, so try them next time.

Found the lollipop store. Great prices-$4.65 per bottle. But trying to charge $10 fed ex shipping. Was there a coupon code you used for the free shipping?

sfrisby said:
Found the lollipop store. Great prices-$4.65 per bottle. But trying to charge $10 fed ex shipping. Was there a coupon code you used for the free shipping?
there might have been...or there was a minimum for free shipping, I can't remember...but they have some great flavors!

All Grain

6.00lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
4lbs White Wheat Malt
1lb Vienna Malt
1lb Light Brown Sugar
****Mash 158 for 45 minutes****
0.25 Cascade Hops at 60 Minutes
0.25 Sorachi Ace 20 minutes
0.25 Cascade Hops 20 minutes
0.25 Sorachi Ace 7 Minutes
0.50 Orange Zest 5 Minutes
2 yeast...Wyeast 1007 and Wyeast 3333
Wyeast 1007 and starter used to start fermentation
Wyeast 3333 used when you add blood orangeade, no starter
****Start Vigorous Fermentation****
After Vigorous Fermentation subsides (3 days), add Blood Orangeade
****Ferment for a minimum of 3 weeks****

I used to use fresh blood oranges for this recipe and if you would like to, feel free to email me and I will give you the instructions...but cautious, several people screwed it up by getting some of the white skin in the mixture.
Here is the recipe for the blood orangeade:
1 x 1.75 liter of Simply Lemonade mixed with 8 to 9 ounces of Torani Blood Orange Extract, sample to see if you like the flavor before adding....add after 3 to 4 days of vigorous fermentation has ended, also dont forget to add Wyeast 3333 at this time, blow off tube strongly recommended for this recipe...if you do not have a blow off tube, then sanitize a piece of aluminum foil and lightly form an upside down cap on top of your fermentor neck...this will allow more gas to escape and will prevent wild yeast from invading...make sure foil comes down the neck by an inch.

This is the 18th and final version of this recipe for me, I tried to make it fool proof so that everyone can enjoy this one!

Some questions I know some people will ask:
- Extract Version - Yes, give me a couple of weeks to make it and test it before I post...in the interm, you can use the extract base from my Lemon Lime Hefe, just add brown sugar, change hops and use bloodaide.
-Secondary Fermentation - No, I rarely use secondary fermentation, because these yeast will kick some sugar ass and make a great beer, so why remove them!
-Subs - Feel free to sub what you want, I know I had 18 versions of this and finally found this one to be a great beer.
-Dual Yeast - I made several versions of this beer and couldnt find the right yeast, both of these applied at different times did what I was looking for...created a damn good beer!
-Torani Syrup - Google it and you can buy it on line, or at a restaurant/coffee supply place.
- 5 or 6 Gallon Recipe - The base is 5 Gallons + Bloodade
-IBU's/Gravity or Color dont Match - I use Beersmith as a recording tool, sometimes their may be calculation errors, but if you make great beer than the rest is kind of irrelevant to me...unless it prevents me from making beer.

I'm planning on brewing this with 3068 for more of a hef character. i was not going to use the 2nd yeast because it seems like the initial yeast would be so dominant that it would be a waste to add the extra yeast. Any opinion on my plan?

Thanks.

firefly765 said:
I'm planning on brewing this with 3068 for more of a hef character. i was not going to use the 2nd yeast because it seems like the initial yeast would be so dominant that it would be a waste to add the extra yeast. Any opinion on my plan? Thanks.
Give it a try and see if it fits your flavor profile.

Got my shipment of the Blood Orange syrup so I'll be brewing this up soon too. Quick question about the 3333 that I wasn't sure about in an earlier post.
Did you mean that creating a starter for the 3333 could result in a sulfur taste? The reason I ask is because I wanted to do a starter and split it so I can save some for different batch. Thanks!

Give it a try and see if it fits your flavor profile.

I will give it a shot. Kind of wanted to do a cross between your lemon-lime and the blood orange. I did a "mix" of yeast before w/ 3068 & US 05 and the 3068 was very dominant......seemed like it was all 3068....maybe because it's such a fast aggressive ferment???

tg123 said:
Got my shipment of the Blood Orange syrup so I'll be brewing this up soon too. Quick question about the 3333 that I wasn't sure about in an earlier post. Did you mean that creating a starter for the 3333 could result in a sulfur taste? The reason I ask is because I wanted to do a starter and split it so I can save some for different batch. Thanks!
No I didn't want everyone to create a starter for this yeast, because the combination of both would result in over pitching....however if you are doing a starter to split it, then you are fine!

Hey man, this looks great, can't wait to try it, but you mentioned if anyone wanted to use fresh blood oranges, you would shoot them a recipe - I definitely want to use fresh oranges! Also, the peanut butter stout sounds absolutely perfect for a food pairing event I have coming up in a couple months, so if you want to have another person give it a whirl, I'd love to test it out before you post it! Thanks, [email protected]

zhubbell said:
Hey man, this looks great, can't wait to try it, but you mentioned if anyone wanted to use fresh blood oranges, you would shoot them a recipe - I definitely want to use fresh oranges! Also, the peanut butter stout sounds absolutely perfect for a food pairing event I have coming up in a couple months, so if you want to have another person give it a whirl, I'd love to test it out before you post it! Thanks, [email protected]
Here is my fresh blood orange method: So when you go shopping for your oranges, you will need to pick 6 to 8 very soft oranges...if the are firm they will be sour and lite in color. Purchase one of those cheap plastic juices that you manually spin the orange on top of...using this will prevent the white skin from juicing...then take this juice, with 1 cup of sugar (preferably brown sugar) and then add cold water until you come up just shy of a quart...taste, if its not lemonade sweet add more sugar.
As for my peanut butter stout, I am still working on some new variations and will probably share it this summer.....I have learned from this site that you need a damn good recipe, or you spend most of your time answering questions about how to change your recipe!

I just brewed 25 gallons of this for a friends themed birthday party .... I forgot how much I like making this beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I found this thread today & will be brewing (10gal) of a very close recipe tomorrow (a little different hop addition because the brew store didn't have everything in stock).

Sorry if this is a silly question, but when you make your blood-orange tea, do you bring it to a boil (and let it cool back down) before you add it, for sanitary concerns?

Also, what temp. did you ferment at?

Thanks and I can't wait to try it out!

Hello,
Of course you can pasteurize you blood orange mix, however I do not...only because I have taken every pre-caution with my products. As for the temp of the yeast, I always go on the manufactures website and look at their recommendations for that yeast, then I ferment at the lowest temp recommended (because I know my internal is 5 degrees warmer than the exterior temp gauge).

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

OK great, that's what I was planning on doing.
The brew day went great & I ended up with some very tasty beer... Super excited about it.
I'll post pics when It's done.

Anyone having trouble finding blood orange syrup in their local store. The store that we normally bought torani syrups said they discontinued the blood orange flavor and wanted to know if others are still finding it on shelves. Thanks.

I buy mine all online from that lollipop store....it's cheap!

I have a question on the use of the wyeast 3333. How much of a detectable banana clove flavor do you get in the final product? I ask because I have never been a fan of that characteristic and will skip using it if that is the case

You get very little banana clove from the yeast in this beer...however if your worried, I would switch out and go with WLP400

I'll be brewing this Saturday. Couldn't find Sorachi Ace, so I'm substituting Moteuka.

I also just realized that I ordered 3L of syrup.

I brewed this one time, but couldn't find blood orange juice, so I just rocked with the simply lemonade and called it lemon wheat. Everyone loved it.

So what is the recommend 3333 yeast substitute since my lhbs doesn't carry it?

George
(Standing in the lbhs)

I would go with whatever kind of wheat yeast they have.

OK..... I went with the German Weihenstephan 3068 since it was described as "The classic and most popular German wheat beer strain used worldwide" ..... We'll see how it works out.

George

I brewed this as my second BIAB and all in all it went well. Four days later and I added the Wyeast 3068 and blood orangeade..... I'm looking forward to tasting it in 17 days!

Any idea how subing the 3333 with the 3068 will affect the outcome?

George

Back