Zest/tea ball

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHunk

Reaction score
I dry-zested lemon and orange peel in my keg two weeks ago. I feel that the citrus may be taking over the flavor. I have two questions:

1) Will the orange/lemon zest "rot" in the beer?

2) Any ideas on how to retrieve a stainless tea ball from a full keg of beer.

PS. I don't have a spare keg or fermentor to transfer the beer to so I can easily take out the ball.

TIA

If it has a ring on the top you can unbend a metal coat hanger straight with a hook on the end and try to fish it out that way.

No the orange will not rot inside of the beer, it might start to break down causing haze or particulate but in no way organicly "rot"
Did you clean and sanitize the outside of the fruit before zesting?

Next time i would toss the zest in after primary fermentation/end of boil and rack off of it and into the keg.

Cheers!

Thanks Johnny. I bent a hook at the end of a copper ground wire from some romex but had no luck so I washed my arm then starsaned my arm and took the plundge. I think I only lost about a pint of beer on the overflow.:ban: Yes I scrubbed the fruit then sanitized it before it went into the keg. I think next time I'll tie some floss onto the tea ball for easy extraction.

Back