Finding Tart/Sour Cherries for Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickshmel

Reaction score
Hello everyone! New brewer here and this is my first post, but I have been reading and learning a lot on the forums and have already made my first 2 batches! I am hooked to say the least, For my next brew I have decided to take a crack at a Cherry Porter. I have everything but the Cherries and cant seem to find a store that has them around my area (Central MD) Does anyone have any ideas on where I can find some? Fresh or Frozen. I was also thinking about ordering some dried Cherries from a website and rehydrating them before use, not sure how that would effect flavor or too much work, anyone tried this? I may be out of luck as the more and more that I read up on Cherries it seems that they may be one of the only true seasonal fruits left that are not imported during the off season. Any help would be great! I would like to stay away from using cherry extract/for this. Thanks in advance!

Dried cherries would most likely have preservatives your yeast would not like. Frozen cherries should be available year-round at your local big-box grocery store. If you can't find them, you can use Oregon canned preserves, or in a pinch, cherry pie filling. No extra sanitation steps needed for any of these methods.

You can brew now, and spend the next week trying to find the cherries, as fruit is usually added after primary fermentation. Just remember that the yeast will need another week or two to eat its way through all the sugar in the cherries, and will raise the ABV when it does.

You can get canned, preservative-free tart cherries in water from Walmart. I've used them and they are excellent.

51UdtO4joVL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-8,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

They have bags of tart, frozen cherries at GFS if you have one by you. ...but they are expensive too.

Back