How to remove a Spa panel (from a house)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I found a guy willing to sell me a Spa panel for cheap that is a left over from a hot tub he got rid of. The problem is that it is still connected to the house and I am assuming it is still live. How do I go about removing it safely and making sure the live wires are taken care of after it is off (no bare wires)

I'm not a professional electrician so take it for what it is worth. I would turn off the breaker at the main panel (should be a dual pole 50 amp), go to the spa panel and double check the wires are cold before touching, disconnect everything, then nail on a j-box to a stud, run the wires into them, put wire caps over the exposed wires, push the wires into the j-box, and close off with a solid cover plate.

BTW, if you are unsure how to do this safely or don't have the tools to do things like check to make sure the wire is not hot then it is better to let this deal slide than risk anything. Your health is worth much more than a good deal.

you should also test the GFCI function on it to make sure that it works before using it. they can go bad after years of sitting outside...

Well the guy I got in from removed it for me. I did not want to get into the whole lawsuit issue if I removed it for him then it caught fire or shocked someone to death and so on. He said it was pulled in working condition. Only paid $25 for it and it is in clean shape. Now I have to figure out how to hook it up.

Here is a link to pictures on another thread if anyone has any advice on how to wire it up

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/spa-panel-wiring-dummies-266751/index4.html

Back