High OG please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geim32

Reaction score
Here is my recipe I just finished it today and its sitting in the primary. My question is beersmith says my OG should be around 1.070 and my actual OG is 1.090 and that was adjusted for temp. My question is: is there anything that I did wrong and will my brew come out ok. I did use 2 yeast packs because of the high OG. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 3.57 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.12 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 9.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 77.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs 10.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 1 15.9 %
13.1 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.9 %
11.6 oz German dark Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.0 %
1.17 oz Horizon [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 35.7 IBUs
2 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 5 19.3 %
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
0.58 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 3.7 IBUs
0.58 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 3.7 IBUs
4 lbs 2.7 oz Extra Light Dry Extract [Boil for 10 min Dry Extract 9 40.2 %
1 lbs Wheat Dry Extract [Boil for 10 min](8.0 Dry Extract 10 9.7 %
0.77 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 2.0 IBUs
0.39 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 1.8 IBUs
0.29 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 13 0.2 IBUs
0.29 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 14 0.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 15 -
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs

First off, it looks like beersmith is saying 1.066, not 1.070 - are you rounding that up? Don't. That's a big difference. Secondly, was this an extract brew with a mini mash? Also, what size pot did you brew in and how much volume did you brew in the pot for the boil?

Ok I didn't round I lasted an older recipe it had a little more DME and it did estimate OG of 1.071. It is an extract brew with specialty grains. I boiled 3 gallons and added water to make a 5 gal batch?

Ok I didn't round I lasted an older recipe it had a little more DME and it did estimate OG of 1.071. It is an extract brew with specialty grains. I boiled 3 gallons and added water to make a 5 gal batch?

Beersmith can be a powerful tool, but in order to get really great results, you have to be very particular about what you input. For example, your beersmith computation says 3.57 gal boil - you're telling me now that this is actually more than a half gallon off. Adjust in beersmith to more accurately depict what you really did - 3 gallon, include your boil off and such and it will give you a more accurate idea of the what the OG should be. All the little things make a difference! Did you do the late extract additions as the schedule shows?

Also, do you realize that munich is a base malt and needs to be mashed? You can't add it into a steep like your can specialty grains. If you brew extract and want to use munich, you are going to have to conduct a mini mash on it - a brief foray into all grain brewing.

Like I said that recipe was adjusted in my beersmith my question is its est OG should be 1.071 and my actual is 1.091. My recipe on the computer is a little different then the one I posted I forgot I changed it. But I followed it exactly as it is on my computer and it didn't come out to the estimated OG?

Have you calibrated your hydrometer? Are you sure you've read it right? If you followed the recipe and didn't make and mistakes, I can't imagine it's possible to be OVER.

But what I'm trying to get you to understand is that everything matters. For instance, beersmith is assuming that you have converted the starches of all the base malts you used... And you haven't done that, so that will make a difference. But you are over...

geim32 said:
Like I said that recipe was adjusted in my beersmith my question is its est OG should be 1.071 and my actual is 1.091. My recipe on the computer is a little different then the one I posted I forgot I changed it. But I followed it exactly as it is on my computer and it didn't come out to the estimated OG?

With a mostly extract batch, your OG is not going to stray too far from expected if your final volume is accurate. A certain amount of extract dissolved in a certain volume of water will yield a known gravity. So, either your volume is off OR your reading is not correct. Incorrect readings are common with extract batches when you need to top up with water to hit your final volume. Most of the time readings are lower then expected because the less dense fresh water sits on top of the more dense wort and mixing the two together is much harder than you think. However, getting a higher reading is not impossible.

In short, assuming your volume is correct, your actual OG is probably close to your expected OG and your measurement is wrong because of an incompletely mixed wort.

Yea this isn't the first time I've used my hydrometer or beersmith. But this is the first time my OG has been off this much and it shouldn't be since I'm using extract brews. My LHBS may have milled my specialty grains this time I don't think they normally do could that be the problem?

I hope someone usually mills them, either them or you. And no, that's not your prob - beersmith assumes the grain is crushed

Back