Question for 10 gallon AG brewers, using a keggle MT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HitTheTwit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
With about 20-24lbs of grain with mash water, how high is your fill line? I'm trying to decide the optimal location of my MT center thermometer.

And a side request; how did people build a thermometer into the outlet valve of their recirculating direct fire MTs?

As always, many thanks for your collective brilliance!

the location is partially determined by the height of your false bottom

P1010442.jpg

bottom left is the mash tun with thermowell

P1010426.jpg

the false bottom sits up pretty high

here's the site glass for reference:
P1010444.jpg

That sir, is a beautiful setup. The FB looks great! Why do you have both valves on the same level? Do you recirculate? If so, wouldn't you want the other valve higher up?

To clarify, I've got the 15" Jaybird FB ready to install in my MT. Dip tube is being bent into shape this weekend!

Thank you! The false bottom was purchased here:
http://www.homebrewing.org/Stainless-Steel-PICO-style-keg-kettle-false-bottom_p_1010.html

I've never used one of these before but it's well made and appears it should work well.

The keggle with 2 valves is the hot liquor tank. The lower one is the drain. The upper is the fill valve. Just to the left and a little lower than the fill valve you can see a thermowell.

The fill valve is located in that location as part of the whole design. It will make sense when we have the photos of the whole system...

Back