Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this is a 3 gallon blonde ale that I fermented in a better bottle that previously had brett B in it. I *thought* that I bleach bombed it, but when I finally decided that I was going to bottle it about 2.5 months into the primary, I looked and saw this:

IMG_26431.JPG

Fast forward 2 months, and this is what it looks like now (sorry about the white balancing)

IMAG0142.jpg

The center looks the way it does because I think changes in temperture/pressure in the better bottle was causing suck back of drops of starsan through the airlock and breaking the pellicle.

I'm guessing that this is just brett...but I'm not really sure if that's all that's going on. It's been in the primary since late January, but I don't want to break the pellicle to taste or bottle it...should I? I think I've read that you want the pellicle to "fall" before touching it....but I'm not sure if that's true.

My infection. Any ideas on what it is? This is on Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale.

d213c573.jpg

Thats what my lacto looked like except didnt have all the bubbles or i didnt catch the bubbles in the process, just a think paint like layer on top that breaks apart. I would just do your best maybe skim it or rack it carfully avoiding all of it maybe loosing a beer in the process.As long as your finsh gravity is good and taste good or taste ok, just bottle it and keep your eye on them and seperate them from the others, just keep an eye out for that stuff on the surface in your bottles or overcarbonation,then refrigerate them:mug:
I was worried i would get a ring around the top or the same film in the bottles, but they actually cleared also as i was worried about how hazy it was during conditiong , but they have cleared and are winning.For now so its been about 3-4 wks with no problems.
No offense but that kinda looks like a toilet bowl that has been neglected right there.

image-3646750547.jpg

This is the surprise I found when I went to bottle. I tasted it and it tasted decent. I bottled it. Now I see it's forming in the bottles. I dunno, I'll try one in a bit.

Beezy said:
Maybe cream of broccoli mmmm

Not a soup :-/
15 gallon batch:
21lbs of Pilsen
9lbs of flacked corn
Safelager s23
Boiled 10 gallons in a converted keg for 90 min
Boiled 5 gallons in a SS pot for ?min. I had problems with the second turkey fryer so the 5 gallons sat around in the pot for about an hour till I started to get it to a boil!!
It took about 1 1/2 weeks to finally ferment down to FG and before I keg'd after a total 2 1/2 weeks it had this on top:-/

This thread scares the bejeezus out of me. I hope it's just yeast rafts in my secondary right now...

After a year and a half i finally got my first one. I have a feeling its lacto, i just made a berliner recently and i think it may have cross contaminated. Ahh well. A year and half with none ain't too shabby, it was bound to happen at some point.

I think its just starting. I thought at the beginning it was just yeast floaters, but then it started increasing. Came home yesterday and =(

iUA4O.jpg

So now im gonna chuck it and the bottle. Make sure i clean and sanitize everything in my brewhouse just to be safe.

So now im gonna chuck it and the bottle. Make sure i clean and sanitize everything in my brewhouse just to be safe.

keep it. add some brett, wait two months, add a few oak cubes. wait six months, then try it. you were going to chuck it anyway, why not shove it in a closet somewhere and see what happens. if you still don't like it, go ahead and chuck it.

keep it. add some brett, wait two months, add a few oak cubes. wait six months, then try it. you were going to chuck it anyway, why not shove it in a closet somewhere and see what happens. if you still don't like it, go ahead and chuck it.
The problem is, if it turns out really good, i will never be able to replicate it.

And i'd rather spend the money on a new batch that i meant to brew rather than one that might turn out to still be disgusting.

All the more reason to keep it and savour it if it's good. :D
My main goal is to produce beer that i can be brew over and over again and come out with consistent results. Thus far i've been very good at it. I attribute that to my process. I think this infection was a result of a brain fart, where i may have used the bug autosiphon to transfer by accident. I vaguely remember something being different. But oh well. I still have about 15 gallons of beer around and a blonde in the primary, so i won't go thirsty. :tank:

I see nothing wrong with this, have you tasted it?
Its hard to tell but there is a thin white film on the surface. Its definitely infected. I popped the top and its smelling sour. I pulled it out of the ferm chamber so some of the bubbles in that pic im sure are due to the rise in temp possibly the yeast got a little excited.

Here is my berliner i just did, you can notice the white film on the surface kinda looks flakey.

Photo0870.jpg

I'll take a pic of it when i get home with better lighting, its definitely infected. Im pretty sure i ****ed up and contaminated with lacto.

I opened my batch and saw this.

x2_8187a44

Smell is pretty sour. Should I toss it? If yes, should I toss the bucket too?

I opened my batch and saw this.

x2_8187a44

Smell is pretty sour. Should I toss it? If yes, should I toss the bucket too?

Myself I'd toss it. It really depends on if you want to take the off chance of keeping something that will probably never turn around and risk cross-contamination by keeping it around. Taste it first.

I would also throw the bucket away or bleach bomb it and relegate it to holding grain. Plastic is too porous to risk reusing it imho.

I am curious about this adding brett and oak and aging... has anyone ever accomplished good results with an infected beer, and this technique?

Myself I'd toss it. It really depends on if you want to take the off chance of keeping something that will probably never turn around and risk cross-contamination by keeping it around. Taste it first.

I would also throw the bucket away or bleach bomb it and relegate it to holding grain. Plastic is too porous to risk reusing it imho.

Tasted it. Wasn't too bad and wife said it didn't smell off to her.

Might just move it to a carboy and see how it looks in a few weeks or something. Would that be a good move?

Bazin said:

Might just move it to a carboy and see how it looks in a few weeks or something. Would that be a good move?

I think so. If it tastes drinkable to you, there is reason no really to dump it.

I just had this happen last week, and it will become sour soon if it infected. I would drink it asap. If you keg, put it at 45 psi, roll it around, wait a day and drink it. I dumped 5 gallons 2 days ago that I could have drank if I had just done an expedited chill, carb, and pour.

Its currently infected with alcohol. I hope your racking it while looking at it and taking pictures, otherwise you may infect it if you keep opening it.

Is this an infection? In addition to the bubbles and white floaties, there is an oil slick.

That "Oil Slick" looks awfully like my Berliner Weisse that I innoculated with Lacto a few weeks back. Give it a taste, if it has a sour almost vinegary taste then it's infected. You really are the best judge of whether it's infected or not.

That "Oil Slick" looks awfully like my Berliner Weisse that I innoculated with Lacto a few weeks back. Give it a taste, if it has a sour almost vinegary taste then it's infected. You really are the best judge of whether it's infected or not.

It's developed into this after two more days. Based on your comment and other pictures, I looks like Lacto. Still smells like banana, not too sour. Haven't tasted it, though. I plan to rack to my bottling bucket this weekend and bottle.

If this is an infection, should I get my buddy a new bucket? This one I borrow from him.

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

I just reviewed this entire thread... I'll never have to ask, "is this an infection" ever again.

It's developed into this after two more days. Based on your comment and other pictures, I looks like Lacto. Still smells like banana, not too sour. Haven't tasted it, though. I plan to rack to my bottling bucket this weekend and bottle.

If this is an infection, should I get my buddy a new bucket? This one I borrow from him.

I'd certainly not use the bucket for fermentation again if that's what you're asking. Unless of course you enjoy what the bugs have contributed to your brew, in that case keep it for sour's. If not use it for grain storage or something. And, I'd not use that bottling bucket again for any "clean" beers. Just my $.02. I keep separate equipment for all my sours.

I'd certainly not use the bucket for fermentation again if that's what you're asking. Unless of course you enjoy what the bugs have contributed to your brew, in that case keep it for sour's. If not use it for grain storage or something. And, I'd not use that bottling bucket again for any "clean" beers. Just my $.02. I keep separate equipment for all my sours.

I was told by another homebrewer to not bottle this right away because it would be guaranteed bottle bombs. Is this right?

I was told by another homebrewer to not bottle this right away because it would be guaranteed bottle bombs. Is this right?

Depends on the gravity. Bugs usually drop beers down really low, like down around 1.000. On the flipside bugs usually work fairly slowly so if you are going to drink them quickly or keep them cold after they are carb'd then you shouldn't have an issue.

The bug in my bottles seem to halt in the fridge and just leaves a couple floaties. Not a bad beer. Glad I didn't dump it.

Depends on the gravity. Bugs usually drop beers down really low, like down around 1.000. On the flipside bugs usually work fairly slowly so if you are going to drink them quickly or keep them cold after they are carb'd then you shouldn't have an issue.

I haven't checked the gravity yet. But assuming it's around 1.000, how long until the bottles carbonate?

I have plenty of fridge space, so can put all of the bottles in the fridge as soon as they carb.

I haven't checked the gravity yet. But assuming it's around 1.000, how long until the bottles carbonate?

I have plenty of fridge space, so can put all of the bottles in the fridge as soon as they carb.

Carbing will take as long as it normally would in your current environment. Your yeast will still be viable and will eat that priming sugar up before the bugs even have a chance.

Carbing will take as long as it normally would in your current environment. Your yeast will still be viable and will eat that priming sugar up before the bugs even have a chance.

I finally took a gravity reading today and got 1.013, which seems normal (from an OG of 1.072). I also tasted it and it was fantastic. No sourness at all. It was a little hot but not too bad.

Can you see any reason why I shouldn't just let it hang out in the primary for another few weeks to a month before I keg or bottle it?

I finally took a gravity reading today and got 1.013, which seems normal (from an OG of 1.072). I also tasted it and it was fantastic. No sourness at all. It was a little hot but not too bad.

Can you see any reason why I shouldn't just let it hang out in the primary for another few weeks to a month before I keg or bottle it?

The longer you wait the more time the bacterial infection has to take hold and sour the beer.

Kindof a picture lul here so I'll post one up.
Here's how it looks in my "Oud Bruin met Perzik" keg now, hard to get a good pic through the little keghole. It's time for more peaches!
6046841860_e368e06ee6_z.jpg

Back