Oktoberfest Ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otis34

Reaction score
I'm planning on making an Oktoberfest with ale yeast here shortly.
I'm making 2 batches, one with Wyeast 1084 and the other with either WLP011 of Wyeast 1338.

Any opinions on which yeast would be better? I have read a lot on here about how slow wyeast 1338 is...would wlp011 be any faster?

Here is the recipe if any is interested.

6gal
OG 1.054
FG 1.016 (wyeast 1338 or wlp011) 1.014 Wyeast 1084
12.02 SRM
4.9 % ABV

4 Pilsner
4 Vienna
3 Munich 10
1 Melanoidin
1 White Wheat

25-26 IBU
.5 oz hal tradition 6.3% aa 60 min
.5 oz hal 4.3% aa 60 min
.5 oz tettnanger 3.5% aa 10 min

Wyeast 1338 and wlp011 are the same culture, so I would say you can pick either one with similar results.

Brew on my friend:mug:

More info: They come from the brewery Wisenschaftliche Station #338 in Munich.

Never used 1338 but sounds interesting. I have had great resoluts with 1007 and similar with 2565. I personally would recommend 1007

I want a nice malty beer that isn't sweet..if that is possible. Maybe I should go with the 1007, but I'm worried about it finishing too low (atn 73-77).

Avidhomebrewer did the 1338 leave a lot of sweetness? What attenuaton or FG did you get with it?

Dan what FG can I expect with the 1007? I can bump the mash temp if necessary.

Thanks a lot guys.

I went with the 1084 and 1007 due to time constraints and I'm not a fan of overly sweet beers.
The 1007 was really slow fermenting and flocculating, I would not use it if in a time pinch. It has only been bottled a few days, so I haven't got to try it yet.

The 1084 tastes really good, lots of melanoidins and very malty. It is not sweet or too dry, FG 1.010. Can't pick up many esters with all the malt flavor.

The 1084 did great, I would definitely use it again for this style.
I will update after I try the 1007 at our Oktoberfest party Saturday.

Update. The 1007 was very good as well. It finished sweeter and smoother with less accentuation of the melanoidins.

Need to try WLP011 for a festbier. My first attempt was using the WL German/Kolsch, although I underestimated my efficiency with new equipment and will end up with an 8% Oktoberfest. imperial Oktoberfest, anyone?

I got on really well with WLP011 but was using it with a single temperature infusion for Biere de Garde and it got down to 1.010 even when mashing at 66C so it can finish dry if you treat it a certain way.

I was expecting it to leave more behind but I reckon if you did a step or decoction it'd leave a fair bit more behind.

Back