Stalled....maybe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrie_mt

Reaction score
I've got three batches of wine that are about 6 months old but seem to be stalled...

1 gallon Red Current 8/14 - Montrachet yeast, SG 1.130 12-16 reading 1.042, 3/2 reading 1.036

1 gallon Gooseberry Apple 8/14 - Montrachet yeast, SG 1.24, 12-16 reading 1.032, 3-2 reading 1.030

3 gallon Rhubarb 8/24 - Champagne yeast, SG 1.118, 12-16 reading 1.018, 3/2 reading 1.016

They don't seem to be finishing. Where did I go wrong and what do I do now?
I tried some of it and while it tastes good it's sweet. I've got a 5 gallon batch of apple wine that is about done that I could mix with if needed.

Suggestions?

With an OG of over 1.100, you may have overwhelmed the yeast right at the start. Most of my wines start at 1.085-1.100 for a 12-13% ABV wine.

The rhubarb should have finished lower, at least, though. Do you have optimum fermentation (warm enough) conditions?

If you don't like sweet wine, start with lower SG the first and second wines are at almost 13% abv. The third is almost 14%abv. There not stuck. their finished

I was wondering if it had to do with to high of a SG. Unfortunately I weighed the recommended sugar out and added it - now I'll know to just add the sugar to the recommend SG and not worry about measuring it.

They are on top of the fridge and we keep the house between 64-68 in the winter so I think they have been o.k. temp wise.

Do I just drink sweet wine, mix it with the apple that finished completely out, or add more yeast to it to get it finished?

I learn something new everytime...now I know how to make a sweet wine. *sigh* not what I had intended on this batch. Do you know if they will taste sweeter when cooled or less sweet? I thought the taste of the gooseberry was nice but a tad sweet...if chilling it took a bit of the edge off I might just leave that one as it is. I'll have to taste the others to see what I think....

So would you just go ahead and bottle right now or mix with the apple that I have that has finished. I've also got a chokecherry that will finish in about a month or so that I could mix with. Any ideas? Is mixing even recommended?

Start another batch and blend, if you add yeast it will have to be a high abv tolerant yeast and you will end up with rocket fuel

Back