Effeciency issues and faulty equipment /sighs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
Got everything prepped up the night before and checked the calibration of both the hydrometer and the thermometer and all checked out clear.

Took a measurement on the pre boiled wort and came out with a 1.040 w/ a temp of around 120 degrees so I let it sit and cool some more. Re measured it at 80 degrees and I still had a 1.040... Son of a *****. Tried rechecking the hydrometer in water and it sank to the bottom. Tried it in the pool and it submerged to the tip, so I'm probably going to be having some good stuff.

13lbs Pale Malt
.5lbs Carapils
.5lbs Biscuit
1lb Crystal 10
Mashed at 155 for 90 minutes and then sparged at 168 to top up to about 8 gallons.

Boiled down to 6 gallons. Hydrometer reading upon pitching 1.030. So going by my guess on how far my hydrometer is off I should be around 1.065-.1070.

Now here is my problem. This is the 2nd hydrometer I've had to toss in consecutive brews and this is getting rediculous having them break/go bad after 1 brew.

Back