Did I ruin this batch??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfgolfer

Reaction score
hey. I think I made a terrible mistake. When I racked my beer from primary to secondary, I made sure not to aerate the beer by putting the hose all the way down and it just syphoned in nicely... BUT when I did that, i noticed that the 5 gal carboy I am using really didn't fill near the top well and I was afraid to have to much head space so I (unbelievably stupid..) added some spring water to it using a funnel and just poured it in!!!! I probably brought in way to much air to the batch.. Is it ruined and should I just dump it and make a new batch????:(

RDWHAHB. Just toss the airlock on there and give it a few weeks.

If you used bottled water, it should be pretty close to sterile, so there's not much of an infection risk. You will probably rouse some yeast into a reproduction cycle. I believe that's what will happen, but it's no big deal- I'm guessing it'll probably just take longer to clear.

You shouldn't do what you did, as you know... but I doubt the results will be fatal. :mug:

Bill for this consultation: 1 beer. ;)

Head space isn't much of a concern with beer, so next time - leave it alone.

All you did was watered down your beer. Probably not too big of a deal as long as you didn't add a TON of water.

I'm sure it will be fine, but next time you're not sure about something, and are contemplating doing something crazy like that, come and consult your buddies at HBT first! :mug:

A lot of people top-up. Actually, you should always start with about 5.25-5 gallons in the primary to compensate for the losses you'll get when racking. Trub holds a lot of liquid.

Thanks guys... I won't throw it out then... I was just worried pouring in the water would aerate too much. It was only about 1/2 gallon of water. What does too much aeration do anyway?? so it it happens, I'll look out for it.

and 1 beer for compensation is well worth it!!:mug:

Back