good recipe for the females

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbplace

Reaction score
hey, im looking for a good recipe for the girls. i need something the ladyfriend and i will both enjoy, any suggestions?

My favorite beer style is an IPA, so that's what I'd recommend. :D

If she has a favorite beer style, that's what you should make. Some women like darker, but less hoppy beers, like stout with the roasted coffee-ness. Some like darker beers, but not roasty- like Newcastle. Some like light and non-hoppy beers like a blonde ale. Some like wheats, like hefeweizens. Others like hops, so enjoy APAs and IPAs, but I'd hazard a guess that most of them do not.

My girlfriend loves Imperial Stouts and Imperial IPAs about as much I do.

why are you having us decide... why not have her go to the package store and do some style research and tell you what she likes... THEN brew that!

the way I got my GF involved was to let her pick the recipe...she chose a Blackberry cream ale.....just a Brewers Best box kit with 3\4ths bottle of blackberry syrup added before bottling....I was impressed...made a great beer, and she loves it too, to keep her interested I brew a few batches then let her pick out something fruity\light

my gal enjoys most of what i brew, but she is especially fond of the cream ale and american wheat.

The only thing my wife doesnt care for is Weizen beers brewed with German yeasts.
American Wheats, she is fine with but the clovey/banana always gets me a MEH look

Oh, as long as there is an umbrella in there she is good to go too........................

My wifes a wine drinker, although she does like a good strawberry blonde. She calls my stouts and porters CRUNCHY BEER. Which really, is OK, more for me.

Ron

My wife loves my hefe. She just asked me last night, "A there any of MY beers left?" knowing that we were running low. She also likes most belgian styles, most notably dark strong ales.

Fruit beer, wine, hefeweisssen, pale ale, or something from the store. When I say fruit beer, I mean a super easy drinking base beer with some fruit extract (like blueberry or peach) and that is all. Don't make a blueberry beer with actual blueberry fruit. It will not be anything like you think it will.

imperial cherry stout or porter

or a wheat that at half way through bottling, you add fruit extract. half the unfruited batch for you, the fruit version for her. or the other way around

It's not like you can say "Hey! You have a uterus! You must like *insert beer style here*!"

I might have taken that differently than you meant it.

My SWMBO has recently become a hophead. I was so proud when she came home with two bombers of IIPA and warned me "you better not drink those without me!".

The only way to know what to brew for your "ladyfriend" is to know what sort of beer she likes.

Go to the store, buy her some BMC, then brew for yourself. Don't try to "convert" people.

Why? I've shown so many people what real beer is like and had them really like it and become more interested in good beer. Now they are buying micros. Had I not, they would still be big BMC fans.

Since you've given us absolutely nothing to go on, you will likely get a wide range of answers form which to choose. The best thing to do would be to ask her what she likes versus asking us to tell you what she likes. :rolleyes:

Why? I've shown so many people what real beer is like and had them really like it and become more interested in good beer. Now they are buying micros. Had I not, they would still be big BMC fans.

Yes

Its not a conversion so much as its an education.

If nobody tried new things we would all bea eating mashed carrots out of small glass jars.

Hey, after you figure out what type of beer women like, let me know their preferences on cuisine, genre of music and film, mattress firmness, and activities for Sunday morning. I may be an old married guy, but it never hurts to gain such deep insight into the female psyche.

I think it is a misconception to think ladies might have an easier time with 'fruity' beer than a clean 1.035-1.038 balanced mild or other real brew :)

My honey drinks my porter with a knife and fork whilst consuming radishes...

I say if they want fruit get a nice German Auslese(sp?) wine. Let her drink that whilst you drink your pale ale...

I think it is a misconception to think ladies might have an easier time with 'fruity' beer than a clean 1.035-1.038 balanced mild or other real brew :)

My honey drinks my porter with a knife and fork whilst consuming radishes...

I say if they want fruit get a nice German Auslese(sp?) wine. Let her drink that whilst you drink your pale ale...

I hate fruit beer, absolutely hate it. Wheat beer is also detested. I love IPAs and IIPAs, but enjoy most other styles. It really burns me when a helpful bartender tries to select a beer for me based on my appearance. Often, they'll offer me something like a raspberry wheat!

I mean, I don't have guests over and say, "Oh, you are a little hefty. I bet you'd love a stout!"

The only way to brew for someone else is to know what they like. As has been said, gender has very little to do with it. People of both sexes drink great beer, as well as bad beer.

Can you recommend a worthy IPA recipe?

Thanks!

My DFH clone is pretty good- that's my "house" IPA. I have a Stone Ruination clone on tap right now- I haven't tasted it head to head yet with the original, so I haven't posted it yet but can if you'd like. Eschatz's Bell's Two Hearted clone (already in the database) is a winner, too!

I'm a fan of amarillo, centennial, and cascade hops especially so most of my APAs and IPAs use some combination of those.

Go to the store, buy her some BMC, then brew for yourself. Don't try to "convert" people.

Who said the OP was trying to "convert" anyone? He's looking to share something with his SWMBO. I think a lot of us guys could learn from this kind of effort.

My wife loves Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar Pale Ale, so I'm working on a clone of it for her. It's pretty difficult to recreate something so light!

I hate fruit beer, absolutely hate it. Wheat beer is also detested. I love IPAs and IIPAs, but enjoy most other styles. It really burns me when a helpful bartender tries to select a beer for me based on my appearance. Often, they'll offer me something like a raspberry wheat!

Yeah, but just by being on here, you're atypical.

Maybe I just keep bad company, but almost every girl I know will grab a Mike's or a fruity beer before they grab something like an IPA, or even a mild.

Back