OOPS, Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMG680

Reaction score
I do not think I aerated this beer I made the other day. It was foaming over and I stopped, but it fermented and was going good. About 36 hours later it just stopped, and is at like one bubble every 30 to 45 sec.

Help..... Can it be fixed, wait and see, ????

Its and Irish Red Ale, extract

sounds like it's going good to me.......a bubble 30-45 seconds isn't bad if it's was a quick starting yeast. Never rely on you airlock to determine if the yeast is doing the job, use your gravity as the indicator

the last time I did an irish red it went very quick. a bubble every 30 seconds definitely isn't stopped. let it ride.

aeration has no impact on fermentation only on aging and off flavors which can develop. Ifyou do happen to aerate during fermentation, if anything it will increase slightly due to added oxygen. You wont know until fermentation finishes but as its been said many times, bubbles are not a good indication and dont mean anything...when hydrometer readings are equal after a few days then your good to go

I do not think I aerated this beer I made the other day. It was foaming over and I stopped, but it fermented and was going good. About 36 hours later it just stopped, and is at like one bubble every 30 to 45 sec.

Help..... Can it be fixed, wait and see, ????

Its and Irish Red Ale, extract

Foaming over ? Did it foam over as you were pouring into the primary ,shaking ? also some dry yeast don't need aeration if they are fresh.

Foaming over ? Did it foam over as you were pouring into the primary ,shaking ? also some dry yeast don't need aeration if they are fresh.

No as soon as i put the air pump in and after like a few min. it was just foaming away. It is the aeration pump from northern brew.

Also I took a reading just now and it is at 1.010 now and was at 1.040 after aeration. So i am guessing it should be ok. There are now no bubbles at all through the airlock and it has been only a week. Fast beer.

Back