Double checking the OSG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsoto75

Reaction score
In making my first batch today, I followed the directions of the beer kit I purchased. On the label they list the OG at 1.043. When I took the reading with my hydrometer, I got 1.04(the balling reading was at 10).

So I'm guessing I will take the second reading after the 7 days. Am I looking to have the final gravity at the same reading as my first? Should I check it any sooner?

Thanks in advance.

dave

Congratulations on your first brew! It seems that your numbers were pretty close and that is a good thing. After a week you should see a significantly lower hydrometer reading. After the yeast eat up all those sugars they produce alcohol and C02. Alcohol has a lower gravity than water so your hydro reading will go down. Again, congrats and welcome to the addiction.

One other thing, well ok 2, resist the urge to take a bunch of hydro readings. It is a waste. Check it after about 1.5 weeks and then let it sit in that primary for another 2 weeks and let those yeasties clean up after themselves.

Back