Rusty Keggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I purchased a 3 tier gravity fed system a few months back, but so far I have only had on success, an oatmeal stout. The five other beers I have made have all the same sort of off taste, yet they are still consumable. I am moving and forced to give up the brew stand, but hate to part with 3 keggels because they are hard to come by in Hawaii. The keggels however all have rust around their valves. Is this may be affecting the taste of my beer. I know the possiblities are endless, but are the Keggles worth retaining?

I still plan on brewing, but may start extract brewing again. Will I regret moving backwards in the brew game? Has anyone had a similar experience?

If it is just surface rust you can clean it of with a paste of barkeepers friend/water and a rotary tool with a wire wheel. I wouldn't pitch them - I used to have 6 half barrels when I was in college but I left them behind when I moved from Michigan to Colorado and I regret not shipping a couple of them out here.

I had my kegs welded with regular steel ( not stainless). Every time I get ready to brew I take my $3 wire brush and clean it up with my drill. Plus, I like metal, so to know that I'm drinking a little doesn't bother me.

Absolutely keep the kegs. You can just replace the valves, can't you? You may want to get rid of the stand, but the vessels are hard to come by. I bet your problem has more to do with fermaentation. You live in Hawaii.....are you sure you're keeping your stuff cool enough? Like around 65F?

Back