Glass or plastic for primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ph0ngwh0ng

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm four brews old now and I have always used plastic food-grade buckets w/ spigot for primary fermentation. Quite frankly, I'm highly satisfied with it as of now.

Thing is, I saw quite a number of posts here relating tales of krausen blowing out of the bubbler and such. Plus, cleaning glass carboys is a *****. But, if so many people stick to glass anyways, there HAS to be a reason, yes?

But, what is it?

Thanks!

So they can watch the fermentation? I have no idea. I use mostly plastic, since it's lightweight and easier to clean. If I'm using a secondary (and that's becoming more rare), that's glass.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I ferment in plastic buckets with spigots too and there is plenty of room for kreusen without a blowoff tube.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I ferment in plastic buckets with spigots too and there is plenty of room for kreusen without a blowoff tube.

How far off the bottom of the bucket do you drill for your spigot? Just got my first 7.9gal bucket.

Mike

I use glass because:
I've had them for years (most of them for over 20 years).
I find that plastic scratches too easily and has to be retired when scratched. Life expectancy of plastic for me is about 1 year when using it regularly, so in my case, glass has come out much cheaper.
Watching the fermentation beats watching re-runs of Law and Order.

But there's nothing wrong with plastic.

Cleaning carboys is easy. A solution of Oxi Clean soaking for a few hours does all the hard work, and just requires a good rinse afterwords. This would also work for plastic, and help to prevent scratching.

-a.

Well there have been study findings released lately that show some polycarbonate plastics do release chemicals into the stored liquids. For every action there is an equal opposite reaction(dose this work here?)If the plastic can absorb(stain) it must release(plastic taste). One Mans opinion.Bisphenol A, or BPA, has been detected in nearly all human bodies tested in the United States. It is a key building block in the manufacture of hard, clear, polycarbonate plastics, including baby bottles, water bottles and other food and beverage containers. The chemical can leak from plastic, especially when containers are heated, cleaned with harsh detergents or exposed to acidic foods or drinks.

Plastic for me all the way.

Easier to carry with the handle I can actually use.
Don't have to watch fermentation - YUCKO!
Can haul in and out of fermentation freezer easily.
Dry hopping is very easy with the wide bucket opening.
Retired buckets always have a good use.
Don't have to watch fermentation - YUCKO!!

I have three glass carboys taking up space. I suppose when I brew a really big beer that needs a good long secondary and I plan to bottle, I'll use them then.

I have two plastic primary fermenters a 6.5 gal & 7.9 gal. The 7.9 Gal I use for beers that have Lots of krausen. Plastic seems to be going good for me so far. I clean after use with "Clorox Free & clear Soap" & a clean soft sponge. I also use "One Step" On brew and bottling day, so far no problems with taste or scratching.
I DO use glass 5 Gal secondarys though.
So I guess use whatever you feel comfortable with. I can tell you that the Glass is more difficult to maneuver and store.

The search is a wonderful thing on this topic, yet more interesting is people who reply to topics telling people that any new discussion on any topic is a waste of time and once something is talked about once, people who have already talked about it think people who have not discussed it are retarted and should not be aloud to talk because it has been talked about.

glass for me, but they are gonna be harder to get(if you dont' got them already), and more expensive i think then the plastic bottles/pails.

You know, I used to brew in a glass carboy, but that was before I found out about 'primaries' and 'secondaries'. Then I got a brewing bucket and used that as a primary. Works great. Now I doubt I'd ever use the glass carboy again, unless it was for wine or mead or something VERY heavy.

The plastic bucket works great, and is much easier to deal with when transferring. Plus, I dont' worry about scratches, because it's so easy to get your arm in there and wash with a sponge.

Buckets FTW!

Back