How to pack beer for sending to a competition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Please

Reaction score
I am considering entering some beer in competitions in the future, how do you pack the bottles so they safely make it to the competition?

I usually wrap each bottle with 1 layer of bubble wrap and 1 piece of tape to hold it on (remember, someone has to open all of these things again, try not to make it a pain). If there's any dead space in the box I would add some newspaper to keep everything from moving around. Pretty much as long as you can't hear the glass rattling in the box it should be ok.

I use the UPS Express Pak bubble envelopes. You can get them for free at any UPS store. Just cut off the sticky part and use painters tape to close it. Put a bottle in and roll it up. Works great. I use them all the time for travel and since you are using UPS to ship your beer, don't feel guilty about getting them for free.

PackingBeerForTravel.jpg

I use the UPS Express Pak bubble envelopes. You can get them for free at any UPS store. Just cut off the sticky part and use painters tape to close it. Put a bottle in and roll it up. Works great. I use them all the time for travel and since you are using UPS to ship your beer, don't feel guilty about getting them for free.

Wait a minute...you can just go in there and grab a stack?:rockin:

Most breakage is due to bottle on bottle. Make sure each bottle is well wrapped. If you are in a pinch, using two sheets of crumpled newspaper works well too.

Just make sure that you pad between each bottle and between the outside walls of the box.

PackingBeerForTravel.jpg

Yup, I work at a UPS store and they get em for free and aren't allowed to charge for them. If they give you hassles about getting some, ask for some NDA waybills to go along with them and say you have an account.

I usually just wrap 2-3 sheets of newspaper around each bottle and put a good layer under and over the bottles in the box. I have yet to have any problems.

I used to work for Fedex and I my advice is to pack them well enough that you'd have no problems throwing the package down the stairs. This is the type of abuse that they will likely receive.

I can't tell you how many times i saw wet packages that smelt like wine. It's horrible, but would be even worse if it were beer.

Yeah - I think UPS assumes you are going to mail something in them. So they give the envelope for free but charge you extra when you mail it. Only you are not really mailing it. At least not all of them individually.

Yeah - I think UPS assumes you are going to mail something in them. So they give the envelope for free but charge you extra when you mail it. Only you are not really mailing it. At least not all of them individually.

They don't really charge you more to mail them, directly, but they only let you ship them air, which is more expensive.

Back