Hello from Rhode Island

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kboyd

Reaction score
Hey there,

I just joined the forums about a week ago, and I've already found a huge amount of helpful information! I've been brewing for a bit over a year and I just can't get enough. I live in Providence, RI for the moment, although I'm originally from the West Coast.
If you know of any homebrew clubs in the area, I'd love to get involved-- I haven't been successful in finding any on my own.

Smell ya later!

kate

Welcome to the forum. If you have the day free stop by ptn's house for Masstoberfest, you won't be sorry you did!

Hey and welcome. I just moved here from the west coast as well (Seattle). It is a nice area, and make sure to check out Blackstone Valley Brewing Supplies. Steve there is a good guy.

Hi Kate -

I'm down here in South County, RI. I have checked into some local clubs, too, but haven't really found anything.

As for LHBSs, there is one in North Kingstown (Vine & Hops) that's pretty good, but it seems to be closed right now - not sure if just an extended vacation or if it's for good. There's also one called Brew Horizons that operates out of a few local hardware stores in Coventry and somewhere in "Fawsta-Glawsta." Check Brew Horizons Homebrew - Rhode Island Home Brew & Wine Making.

Welcome to the forums - they offer a fantastic amount of excellent advice.

welcome, kate!

i'm in providence, too. it always makes me happy to spot another girl in the boys club. i have to second tenchiro on blackstone valley brewing supplies. if you have any success finding a brew club, let me know. i haven't found anything good since i've moved from massachusetts. i've been thinking lately that perhaps if there is enough interest amongst the rhode island-ites, we can start our own.

Wow, it's great to see so many people from lil' rhody on the boards.

Blackstone Valley Brewing is the place to go. While there is no official club per se, people typically gather there on Friday evenings to sample homebrew and commercial beers. Steve is a great guy and treats his regular customers really well. The folks are pretty welcoming and willing to answer any and all questions. Occasionally there are brewing classes to teach all-grain brewing and the guy who teaches those is excellent.

As for any official homebrew clubs, I do not know of any (maybe we should start one as bunnay suggested). Is anyone interested in starting an HBT group over at IAM.HBT as a starting point? If so, let me know and I will set one up over there (name suggestions appreciated).

Hi Kate, welcome to the area. I'm not much of a club person but the South Shore Club based in Massachusetts also covers Rhode Island and I know a few locals who are members. South Shore Brew Club

I will echo what others have said about Blackstone Valley Brewing Supplies in Woonsocket. It's the best shop in the area and only a 15 minute ride from Providence. :mug:

As for any official homebrew clubs, I do not know of any (maybe we should start one as bunnay suggested). Is anyone interested in starting an HBT group over at IAM.HBT as a starting point? If so, let me know and I will set one up over there (name suggestions appreciated).

I would be down with that, it might be nice to get to know some of the local brewers. I am at a loss of what to name it though.

Okay so I started a group over at IAM.HBT called Rhode Island Brewers (cuz I am just so creative like that; if someone has better ideas, send them to me and I can make changes).

Please head over there and join so we can use that space for organizing ourselves.

Okay so I started a group over at IAM.HBT called Rhode Island Brewers (cuz I am just so creative like that; if someone has better ideas, send them to me and I can make changes).

Please head over there and join so we can use that space for organizing ourselves.

I hope you'll be taking in members who live close to RI cause I just joined up.

I just joined up.

Just to second what Melana said, if you are free on September 20 you should try to come by for Masstoberfest. We have a BUNCH of local brewers, drunks and neer-do-wells gathering together for the day. We'll have at least one all grain batch going, I'll be doing 10 gallons of my Porter Square recipe. We'll also have loads to eat and (it almost goes without saying) LOADS of beer to sample. Hope to see you then. PM me for directions.

Paul

Hey all,

Thanks for the welcome! I will definitely check out Masstoberfest and the RI group online.

It would be great to be able to connect with other homebrewers! My partner and I are somewhat blind in our endeavors-- neighbors and friends tell us we make good beer, but probably because it is free!

Take care,
kate

Kate, it was nice to see you in Woonsocket Friday night. Good luck with the brews. :mug:

Howdy all...

I've just started out brewing beer. I've started with a simple Amber Ale from a kit that was a gift.

Needless to say, it was a good time, and I am thinking about other beers to brew. Anyone recommend a good stout recipe for a starting brewer? :fro:

edit: I live in Providence, hence the post in this thread. ;-)

Theres a shop at 116 Calverley Street in Providence called Basement Brew-Hah Inc.

Check 'em out.

(401) 272-9449

Ok. I get the sense I am being misunderstood.

I have brewed/made Mead, as well as Maple Wine. I am just getting my feet wet with Beer. That being said, I have brewed a batch of beer.

Blackstone Valley Brewing Supplies in Woonsocket has been great and I highly recommend them....

What I was attempting to do in my prior post was to see what people thought would be a good 2nd attempt to brew and to bring some life back to the RI topic. :fro:

Asking us what you should brew for your next batch is like asking us to tell you what you want for lunch. How should I know? Brew the kind of beer you like. Do you like lagers or ales? Do you have the capabilities to brew a lager? Bock? Stout? Pils? Barleywine? Make what you like to drink and all will be happy in Little Rhody.

Asking us what you should brew for your next batch is like asking us to tell you what you want for lunch. How should I know? Brew the kind of beer you like. Do you like lagers or ales? Do you have the capabilities to brew a lager? Bock? Stout? Pils? Barleywine? Make what you like to drink and all will be happy in Little Rhody.

You are so right.... :rolleyes:

I said I was a beginner. Clearly, asking for the opinions of those with more experience, with regards to recipes and/or types of beer is just like asking a stranger to tell me what to have for lunch.
Great analogy, and great way to make a newcomer feel welcome.

So..... What's for lunch. :p

PS. Tony, thanks for a response that wasn't simply childish mockery. :)

And again, my response is to make the kind of beer you like to drink. If that strikes you as 'childish mockery' then I'm sorry for offending your delicate sensibilites. I must have had an EAC moment.

If you tell us what you like we can point you in the right direction. If you don't know the difference between the different styles you might want to spend a few dollars at a liquor store and buy a sampling of all different sorts, drink and compare them and try to find one that does if for you. Then we can give you direction.

Latest posts

Back