Hop Astringency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marrty24

Reaction score
I recently brewed two double IPAs and both have them have come out with a similar hop astringent flavor in the aroma and aftertaste. The first recipe I undershot my gravity but the second I was right on. I changed and reduced the hopping a little on the second and upped the crystal malts but still have as similar astringent flavor. Any ideas what this could be? Should I back off on the hops even more?

Calculated IBUs were 106 and 102 respectively. I also used Warrior for the first time ever on both batches, .5oz at 90 min for both on 5 gall batches. I also was using some Simcoe that is a year old but I've had it in my freezer the whole time.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated, going to brew this again soon so I'm looking for suggestions on what to change.

Well if it's not from pulling tannins during mashing then not sure. Perhaps you added the hops too late in the boil and they didn't boil off some off flavours. I don't add large quantities of hops unless there is at least 5min left in the boil.

I also notice astringent flavours when sampling before cold crashing because of hop particles in solution. Have you cold crashed or lagered at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If the hops smelled good when you opened the bag, then they were probably fine.

There could be a couple of causes of astringency. A big cause is over-sparging. Ending your runoff when the gravity of the runnings reaches about 1.010 (2.5 brix) is an important factor. I try to end my runoff at 3 brix to provide some safety against tannin extraction.

Another factor can be the resulting pH of your wort. If you have any alkalinity in your water, you probably will need to acidify the sparging water to keep its alkalinity relatively low. Another important factor is to get the mash pH in the right range. If the mash pH is too high, it will end up making the pH of the wort in the kettle too high. High wort pH can make the hop character rough and coarse.

What is good mash PH target for IPA's and Double IPA's? Is it worth purchasing a PH meter or would the PH strips be a good enough measuring tool?

A pH meter is mandatory. Strips don't work. Take a sample 15 min into your mash. Aim for 5.4 at room temp. You can't do anything to change it but know what to do for next time (add brewing salts). There are lots of spreadsheets to calculate the required additions to hit the correct pH based off your grainbill and water profile.

Make sure the sparge water is below 6.0. Acidity the sparge by adding acid if needed. I use hydrochloric. No point adding salts to sparge water as the salts need to chemically react with the grain to lower the pH and there may not be enough Time during sparging. Especially if batch sparging.

Also, for an IPA make sure the sulphate ions are about double the chloride and over 200ppm (my opinion). This gives a clean hop taste. Whereas high chloride ions give a round malt taste. So Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate or whatever) are probably your go to addition for an IPA

What is good mash PH target for IPA's and Double IPA's? Is it worth purchasing a PH meter or would the PH strips be a good enough measuring tool?

I agree with Colin Kaminski that a mash and wort pH target of 5.4 is most beneficial in hoppy beers. Malty beers and those not promoting hop expression, should target a slightly lower mash and wort pH of 5.2. Most beers with roast character will benefit from a slightly higher mash and wort pH of about 5.5.

PS: Dry stout is one roasty style that should have a low wort pH, like 5.1 or 5.2, since it relies on a crisp acidic character to compliment the roast flavors.

I think 5.3 is the target pH at room temp. That's what I shoot for and I check my pH religiously. I use bru'n water and you can ask the man himself what he suggests. A good question is what is you mash thickness? I got a meter for like $30 or so on amazon called Hannah checker. Without a meter you could use RO with a little tap and two teaspoons of gypsum and be good IMO.

I'm having a similar problem. My last brew I used distilled water built up with brewing salts to Mosher's pale ale profile. For me after months of research, I've narrowed it down to mash pH and yeast. I'm having a feeling that too much yeast is staying in suspension since I primary and send to the keg. I'm going to rack my next beer for a couple of weeks in a secondary. For some reason I have a feeling my mash pH may be too high, since my meter is reading 5.6.

Please keep us updated!

Back