Old Chest Freezer For Lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewmeisterSmith

Reaction score
My folks offered me their 35 year old chest freezer for free. I was thinking about putting a temp control on it and using it as a lagering chamber. I already have a 7-8 cubic ft chest freezer that I converted into a Keezer. My question is, how much energy do you think this old freezer would suck? Since I'm not running at freezing temps, but refrigeration temps, would the inefficiency be less? Just wondering if I should take them up on the offer or look for a newer model. I can find newer ones for $50-$100 on craigslist.

It's up to you. I bought one from a scratch and dent sale at a sears outlet. It's a 14 cubic ft. model and works well with external thermostatic controls. The power consumption should be lower than using it in full freezer mode depending on the temperature you set it at. The efficiency of the freezer will depend on it's insulation more than anything.

If someone was offering it to me for free, i'd take them up on it provided it worked properly and stayed cold.

IMO anything free that works is worth accepting.Somewhere on the unit it should list amperage wattage and the like. That would let you know what it consumes. Hope that helps

If it still chills down pretty fast I'd give it a go. Just keep an eye on how often it cycles and how long each cycle runs for. I had an older one I picked up from a friend that was working fine at first, but after a few months I noticed that when it did cycle, it was running for 15-20 minutes... way too long just to bring the temp down a few degrees. It found its way to the curb soon after.

The newer ones are going to be a better bet, but personally I have trouble turning down anything that's free... :D

Back