Hello from Kansas City

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridcully123

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a new brewer in Kansas City on the Missouri side. I'm just getting started and need yeasts. Any good brewing supply shops in the area?

Welcome buddy! There's my fav, Bacchus and Barleycorn in Shawnee KS which is close to me, a little drive for you, but they have a good selection and fast inventory turnover so you get extremely new yeast most of the time. Oldest one I have ever got from there was 3 weeks old!

Thats the best one in the area I know of. Staff is better than Homebrew pro Shoppe. Welcome to brewing. I live 2 hours north

Welcome to the HBT community good luck and happy brewing !!! I personally love going into a home brew shops but you also have the option of ordering online I have had really great service and results from Northern Brewer.

+1 to Bacchus and Barleycorn. I started off going to Homebrew Shoppe in Olathe, but found B&B to be much better in terms of helpfulness. When I went in to B&B to pick up my grain bill for Harry Potter Butter Beer, the guy behind the counter looked at my list and was extremely concerned about my choices. I had to explain to him the thought process behind the ingredients and what I was trying to accomplish (a very strange brew to say the least) and then he understood.

I like knowing that my LHBS guy is concerned about my recipes and willing to steer me in the right direction for success.

I would recommend calling ahead regarding yeast choices. They are a very popular store and can run out quickly. I had to go back twice last week to pick up Wyeast 3711 because everyone is brewing Saison right now and they ran out.

Also, they have "Big Brew Day" every May. People bring their brew rigs and everyone brews together behind the store.

Highly recommended!

Hi there! I'm also in Kansas City, MO. North of the river.

I'm new to the forum as well. I just brewed my first batch July 3rd.

In fact I had to drive out to Bacchus & Barleycorn that day because I killed my yeast. I was trying to make a starter the day before and pitched it without cooling the wort. D'OH! I knew as soon as I did it. Plus, it was a Wyeast smack pack and I hadn't actually burst the nutrient pack (even after smacking on it a bunch) so it wasn't ready anyway. Heck, it might have already been dead from the heat during the FedEx delivery!

The guys at B&B were very helpful and showed me how to pop those yeast packets properly and gave me some other good advice. I ended up using 2 packs instead of making a starter. I've decided to order any kits I buy without yeast and instead go to B&B to get it so I know it's fresh.

Cheers.

Back