Stone Vertical Epic 090909

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartman

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed this? I am preparing to brew this next week and looking for any reviews. I have never added any spices or wood chips and not sure of how long to leave the oak.
Thanks in advance

Stone has suggestions on how to do it on their website:

"During aging, chill the beer down to about 35°F or so, and let it sit until the beer clarifies. This is the step where the French Oak chips are added. Place the chips in a filter bag with a small piece of stainless to weigh it down and keep it from floating. Sterilize the entire bag and contents by pouring hot (over 185°F) water over the bag and letting it sit submerged for 15 minutes. Then hang the bag in your fermentor until the whole bag is submerged. Start tasting your beer after 3 days and age as long as needed after that to get the intensity of French oak flavor you want."

Personally I like using oak cubes (which have less surface area) and aging the beer longer. It is a personal taste thing, but if you liked their beer I would follow their instructions.

Had to put mine off for a while. Should brew it next month.

One bad assed beer to be sure. Best dark beer I've ever had.

Agreed. The beer is awesome and my clone of it was one of my favorite brews ever. With oak chips, I would agree that tasting after three days and then going from there. The chips will impart their flavor pretty quick.

Back