Belgian Golden Strong Ale Fermentation Temp Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am fermenting my first Belgian Strong Ale. I am using WL 570 and am following Jamil's temperature schedule from BCS. I pitched the 1L starter at 66 degrees and am letting it warm up about 2 degrees every day for a week. Jamil recommends letting it get up to 82 degres. My question is what do I do after 1 week? I usually let my beers sit in the primary for 3 weeks. Do I keep the temp at 82 for two more weeks? Drop it down slowly? I know eventually I am going to essentially "lager" for a month or so to drop the yeast out. Can I start the process after one week? Thanks. Al:mug:

When I brewed my BGS it spent about 5 weeks in the primary before bottle conditioning. I pitched at 68F and let it get to 76F naturally and it remained there for the entire slow fermentation. Before cold conditioning, I would let it finish at the higher temps even a week after fermentation appears to have stopped. I didn't lager my beer. I didn't have the capabilities to. I believe the reason for the long cold conditioning is primarily to drop the low flocculating yeast. But, You probably shouldn't even try the beer until is about 6 months old anyway, and at that point it starts to get pretty clear on its own. Mine is at 6 months now and it is just starting to get good. It was terrible two months ago.

Depending on the alcohol content, it might be many months before it mellows out. I made a 9% BGS with pears back in July and tasted one this weekend. It was hot alcohol flavor with a little awesome beer flavor.

Back