Good Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
I did my second AG today and went from a 1.056 pre boil gravity for 7 gal to a 1.067 final boil at 5.5 gal. Heres my breakdown = 35/7x15=75 56/75x100=74% eff. I am moving up in the AG world. I just wanted to gloat. I moved from 69% on my first batch to this , so Im stoked. I feel good.:ban:

That's good. Most recipes seem to be quoted at 75% so it save extra work.

Nice.

What methods, set up do you have? What was the recipe? What do you think made the difference?

I always get the best efficiency (for my setup) when I keep the grain bed temperature at around 170F during a nice and slow sparge. And adding some 5.2 to mash water and sparge water really helps me, as well. Sorry for the slight hijack!

I just finished my first AG using a stainless braid and batch sparge and hit the recipe gravity exacty which was an estimated 75%. I'm pretty psyched about it but I wasn't hitting my temps too well.

I preheated with 3 gallons of boiling water and let it sit in the cooler for 30 mins.

Brewsmith told me to strike with 166 degrees for a mash of 154. Wow, what happened but it stablized at 143. Had to add another gallon of boiling water. Same with the sparge. It told me to use 168 degrees and it dropped down to 153 immediately. On my second batch infusion I went to 190 and it stablized at 171.

Well, either way, beer is happening.

Latest posts

Back