Questions on no directions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyhood

Reaction score
So i am thinking of making this Dunkelweizen.. I want to step outside of the realm of my LHB recipes and I decided to scan the internet for something good to try.. If anyone has any recipes or sites where I can find some more I would be really appreciative! well here is the link to the site.. BeerTools.com Recipe Library - Slam Dunk

My questions are as followed..
1) What kind of boiling temps should i follow for this recipe and how can find this out for future recipes
2) How long do I have the grain bag in at the specific heat
3) I have found that some grains need to be cracked.. are any of these grains one of the specialty ones?

thank you!
cheers
Gary :)

Assuming extract brewing.
Crack all the steeping grains. Might be able to do this right at the LHBS.
Put them in as you heat the water, take the out when it boils.
This isn't always perfect but it will always work.

See "The Joy of Homebrewing" page 123

I would not put the grains in and wait until it boils. This can lead to some serious off-flavors.

1. Heat your water to ~ 155F then remove the heat.
2. Steep the grains for 30 mins.
3. Remove the grains and heat to boiling.
4. Resume as normal, i.e. adding extract, hops, etc.

All grains need to be cracked.

I would follow double e5's suggestions, except that I would try to maintain temps between 155-160F while you're steeping the grains.

You might also want to peruse the recipes section of this site for additional recipes.

Directions are pretty standard for all recipes, that's why they are often left off. We can easily help you with some directions!

It says a 3 gallon boil for this recipe. So, you'd put 3 gallons of water into a pot and heat to no more than 160. Add all the grains (crushed, always!) in a grain bag into the water and steep for 20-30 minutes at 150-160 degrees. Lift out the grains, and allow to drip into the pot, and throw them away. Bring this up to a boil.

After you reach a boil, remove the pot from the heat (to prevent scorching of the extract) and stir in the extract. Stir well, place it back on the heat and bring to a boil. After it starts a rolling boil, add the first hops and set the timer for 60 minutes. After the timer hits 30 minutes, add the second hops. If you're using Irish moss, add it when there is 15 minutes left. When there is five minutes left, add the final hops. When time is up, chill the wort as quickly as possible in an ice bath (or use a chiller, if you have one). Then, pour into a sanitized carboy and add water to get to 5 gallons total. Stir well, check the SG and add the yeast. Cover and airlock.

Those directions always work for extract batches, always. Just make sure to check the timing of the hops on the different recipes.

Also, like another post said, don't forget to check our recipe database (click "recipes" in the above toolbar). We have many, and we always like to help if you have any questions.

The nice thing about our database is that only proven recipes are allowed to be posted, so you know if it's a winner before you try it. That was always hard for me when I started brewing- knowing if a recipe was really a decent recipe since I didn't know much about ingredients. Remember, always feel free to ask if you're not sure, though.

thanks everyone for your advice! i am going to get this guy going tom!! Cant wait it is my first recipe outside my LHBS and my 4th one overall!
thanks again:mug:
cheers
gary

Back